Dishwashers - Best Buy

We have a Hotpoint semi built in dishwasher which after a couple of repairs now has a failed programmer. It is about 10 years old.

Its replacement might, or might not be included in a kitchen refurb.

I can buy (from ao.com) an identical replacement for £300 or a Siemens/NEFF etc fro around £500

Any recommendations from the panel? Obviously if we go for the full refurb we could buy a fully built in machine.

On the same track we currently have a built in 50/50 fridge freezer. We would like, because of our current use, the possibility of a built in with a larger freezer and smaller fridge, say 35/65. I cannot find this type of appliance - the only ones available are 540/50 or those with a smaller freezer and larger fridge. Again any suggestions.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Ordinarily, I'd say "Miele", but I'm feeling grumpy about them this week.

Reply to
Jon Connell

Jon Connell wrote in news:n8qj04$coi$1@dont- email.me:

Why do you need "built in"? It reduces your choice an makes repairs more difficult - also opening them and leafing the door partly open is more of a n operation.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Best dishwasher? Poleomatic mate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Siemens trumps Neff anytime.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Miele...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And you cannot see the display. Unless you go for "semi integrated".

I agree - horrid idea. Much better to have a generous opening and use a normal appliance.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was going to say roughly that, but it seems once people decide they want built-in it's all about appearance, and everything else takes 2nd priority.

The other upside of not built in is you can also find suitable used appliances in good condition some of the time, thus getting most of the life expectancy at a fraction of the price.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Tricky Dicky wrote in news:a0dcbd86-7515-47ff-aaad- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Pleased with my Siemens. The main factor really is whther you like the interior layout.We cannot project reliability based on past performance of a then current model.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I painted the front of our "push-in" Miele to match the cupboards. Looks Ok enough.

Reply to
Huge

I've gone from a dead Neff to a Miele and in all honesty I have to say the Neff cleaned significantly better. If we use the Miele on eco or sensor, unless the stuff is almost clean before being washed there's regularly crusty stuff left on bowls and cutlery (in the cuttlery draw)

Set it to intensive and stuff gets cleaned properly though.

Circuit board on the Neff blew up taking several tracks off the PCB. Tried to fix it but to no avail. Didn't bother pricing up a circuit board as there could have been something else at fault too.

Hopefully the Miele will last forever but if it doesn't I'd almost certainly not replace it with another Miele.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

As others have said, I wooden get a built-in. I'd also make sure it was one with a tray at the very top for the cutlery, thus increasing the space for china.

If you're doing a refurb anyway, be sure to get a wider fridge/freezer (*not* American style). We got a 700mm wide Beko and are dead pleased with it. The insulation is no thicker so you get all the extra width for use.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Welcome to the club. I have been looking for a 70/30 freezer fridge for years and apart from building one I have no other solution. We need Apple to get into the appliance business in order for new thinking. The same problems of, one size fits all, bedevils all large appliances design. I have a combind gas/electric hob, unseen once you leave France. I see many products around the world which our major buyers are ignorant of or not prepared to risk being wrong.

Reply to
Capitol

separate fridge & freezer works for some.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah, because people are just *queueing* up to spend £5k on a fridge that needs your house rewiring to allow you to plug it in, the door is super slim but can't hold Tetrapaks, and apple get a 15% cut from supermarkets to automatically re-order your milk for you.

Reply to
Andy Burns

LOL :)

Reply to
GB

Double LOL

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And it comes in apples custom sized containers, which are the only ones that fit the door.

And it will stop working in 5 years and there wont be any spares.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Huge wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

We used to have wooden doors on TV sets! Seems un-necessary. A line of cupboard doors needs to be broken up with something different IMHO.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Doesn't AppleCare only go up to 3 years?

Reply to
Tim Watts