Dishwashers ( again)

Has anyone got a beko slimline dishwasher? or a Bosch ( slimline). Mine has to be slimline I cant make the space for the full size otherwise I could have loads more choices.

The Becko gets a recommend in Which as a cheaper but effective model. ( otherwise they always say Meile but I cant afford that. I cant even come close!)

I was interested because it says that both these machines have anti flood devices.

I can get a Beko online for £205 . Its £239 in Comet. The Bosch would cost me about £250 - £299.

I am reluctant to get a Hotpoint as I am not enamored with the repairs service right now! I have been without a dishwasher now for a week and I wont get the man back for another week and I can have a new washer in less time than that.

Who is Beko? Who do they belong to?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

We've had a Bosch slimline for 8-9 years or so.

Good spare parts availability online (with the exploded diagrams), prices not too bad, and they deliver quickly.

I clean the filters etc. every month and run dishwasher cleaner through it; hard water area and the family don't always clear the plates off properly before putting them in!

In that time...new filters after about 6 years. Only a few quid, and no fitting; these are the parts I take out once a month anyway. Twist top of filter cover, remove, put under tap, replace.

New base for cutlery basket after 7 years. Knives dropped blade down into it wore away the bottom!

New drain hose after 7.5 years. It split...given that it flexes as the machine pumps out, it did quite well.

New detergent flap spring after 8 years.

In heavy use.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hotpoint dishwashers at least used to be re-badged Bosch machines! (I do not know if they still are.)

Reply to
Rod

So Bosch are another subsidiary of Hotpoint like indesit and candy and creda and god knows who else are they?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

No they are not.

For some reason Bosch machines were badged as Hotpoint. Guess it saved the R&D costs of developing their own. I don't think that there has ever been any ownership by Indesit (Merloni) of Bosch or vice versa.

Reply to
Rod

I wonder how much it matters? If the machine meets your needs then go for it. No company is totally hands on with every part - they are made around tried and tested components - some improved - some pared down. Most R&D goes into the technique of "Design for Manufacture" to reduce assembly costs. Promising designs and their "Bill of Materials" are probably sold to other brands to reduce marketing costs and risks.

Reply to
John

Me too (maybe six years)

Never needed any. Usually run once a day.

Reply to
newshound

You snipped the bit where I said the first parts were needed at about six years old! And we run more than once a day...

You'll be on to them soon...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Its me again. An update on my dishwasher . I didn't manage to go and buy one. the snow came down and I have been trapped for the last week or more now.

Anyway, dishwasher repair man came today ( for my old Ariston) . I was right about the float , but he also said several other things were iffy. Upshot was the parts needed ( specifically the float for this machine and a timer) are obsolete.

The insurance company ( which is a Hotpoint/ Merloni insurance) have told me I can have a new machine. Brand new they said! I have a choice. I can have a Hotpoint SDW60p for free or an SDW80p ( which is an upgrade apparently, although I cant see a lot of difference other than the digital control panel) for an extra £50. They will fit it and take away the old machine.

I have to tell them. I have read the reviews but nothing strikes me. Just wondering if anyone has either of these machines? Any suggestions as to which might be best.?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Can't comment on either model specifically, but my personal view is that it's a dishwasher - it doesn't *need* to be that complex. So long as it washes dishes, about the only feature I'd want is the ability to plug it into a wall timer and have it sometimes come on "later". Lots of models these days probably feature all-singing all-dancing digital shenanigans and lose their settings if the power's out, so maybe that's something to check if it's important to you.

Can you take the money and not have the dishwasher? :-) In colder weather I much prefer doing dishes by hand and keeping my hands warm... (there's some elderly dishwasher in our kitchen that was there when we moved in, but I've never even tried switching it on)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

If you are on Economy 7 then look for one with a Delay Start feature.

I suggest you select one that has an interior layout that suits your needs. My dishwasher has a fast 29 minute programme which was useful - but isn't compatible with tablets.

Reply to
John

No I cant. Its the dishwasher or nothing. But I was expecting to get offered £20 because my dishwasher is pretty old ( 10+years). I did also think they might offer me a cheap Indesit, so being offered a machine which costs , even on discounted prices, vetween £250 and for the upgrade, over £300 I cant sniff at it.

But I dont know what would be best to get. I had been thinking to get a Bosch.

Both machines have a time delay on them and an eco wash. The cheaper one ( free one) is AAB rated and the other AAA rated for green thingies.

Reply to
whiskeyomega