Dishwashers

What makes the little door that holds the detergent back flip open? Ours has stopped doing it, (i.e. still closed and full at the end of a cycle) so I'm wondering if there's a reasonable fix (e.g. clear out some gunge somewhere) or if it's time to get a new one. Would be a pity, as kitchen works are on the horizon and I'd rather choose something that goes with the new layout (when it's designed), so i I can get it to stagger on for a bit, that would be good.

And before anyone says it, yes, I am too much of a lazy git to spend time up to my elbows in washing up, so environmentally friendly, labour-intensive options are out! Plus, having trained as a microbiologist, I prefer the way a dishwasher does a proper job of it of course (!)

Reply to
GMM

Might help if you mentioned make and model.

On our Bosch, it was gunge in the tracks that the door slides along.

We then has a separate problem - it woldn't stay shut. That was a worn plastic cam - kit of parts to fix was about a fiver including postage.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The ones I've seen are operated by a solenoid releasing the catch. The solenoid could have failed or maybe a wire has broken where it crosses the hinged joint between the machine and its door.

You don't need to worry about your green credentials - supposedly because of the recirculation of water and the quantities used, a full dishwasher causes less harm to the environment per wash than washing the equivalent quantity by hand.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

You could just chuck the detergent in with the items to be washed. I certainly wouldn't contemplate buying a new machine.

Reply to
Graham.

That's what I did at a self-catering rental, where the detergent door wasn't functioning. Annoying, but the dishes got washed.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have to admit that I'm the dishwasher in our house, it doesn't take 5 minutes. I dunno what your problem is :)

Reply to
scorched

And it gets washed out with the pre-rinse.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I opened it and replaced a metal spring by something I found in my garage. I guess the new spring did not last long in that environment. I do not know how long, as we sold the dishwasher on the internet and bought a newer one the internet at a very low price.

We could have used the old one without that door, but a newer model keep my wife happy.

Have you tried to google for a YouTube video how to do the repair? By using Google advanced search you can solve almost any problem in this world.

Reply to
Jo Stein

A broken cable would hardly be a surprise, given the number of times the door gets opened and closed.

I'm glad to my approach vindicated - the easy, effective and green way. Works for me!

Reply to
GMM

You're very welcome to come and do ours if it's such a pleasure ;)

Thanks for the offer but the wife says no ;)

Reply to
scorched

Ours works by a bimetallic strip sensing the water temp.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Definitely a solenoid in our Bosch. I've seen it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

We had one that had the dertigent door operated by a combined green china "R" and a bi-metallic strip.

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

En el artículo , GMM escribió:

I don't think dishwashers are environmentally unfriendly. You can load them up until they are full and then do a run. One lot of hot water and detergent versus the however many it would have taken you to do the dishes by hand.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I agree.

I am a slave to work and not a slave to domestic chores. I live on my own and I have enough crockery to fill my dish washer over a week or so. I then press the ON button on the dishwasher safe in the knowledge the dishwasher it will do a better job than me using a sink (and that's not for the lack of training in washing up in sinks as I worked in the hospital kitchens when I was a Uni student).

And that's another one of my beliefs. ALL uni students should have a holiday job that is not connected to their studies. They need to see real life.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They certainly should !

Bit of a problem nowadays, with jobs being scare and elfin safety getting in the way, but not insurmountable for anyone with a bit of motivation.

Reply to
GMM