dishwasher & washing machine waste on sink trap - how to stop backflow?

We've just been installing an IKEA kitchen. The sink came with a trap with 2 appliance waste connections, so I connected the dishwasher and washing machine to these. It looks like fluff from the washing machine is ending up on the dishes

- maybe some waste is flowing up the dishwasher waste when it empties. (I haven't noticed food on the clothes yet!)

This seems to the expected way to connect, so I didn't think there should be a problem. Previously they were connected to the waste pipe with fittings that cut into the pipe and incorporated non-return valves.

Screwfix and local hardware shop don't seem to have non-return valves to fit in line.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

cheers,

rob.

Reply to
google.10.robessee

The problem is syphonage. To stop it you have to provide a way for air to get in to each of the waste pipes. The usual way is to have a vertical piece of plastic waste pipe. This has a u-trap at the bottom and is open at the top. You can buy them readymade at merchants. You then poke the end of the waste pipe from the dw into it. Its a good idea to secure it perhaps with a cup-hook in the wall onto which you push the hole you normally get on the crook in the waste pipe. Never happened to me but I'm told that the pipes can jump out. Yuk! Do the same with the wash machine. Hey presto, no syphoning. BTW best not to run the machines at the same time. A long waste pipe can be overloaded and back up. Again yuk! This gets worse after a year or two when the pipe starts to get clagged up.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

You can definitely get them (Or could; I once bought one from B&Q years ago for this purpose). I suspect most modern washers/dishwashers have them built-in now though - worth checking yours in case you're misdiagnosing it!

Alternatively anti-syphon valves are also (or were!) available from B&Q

- you fit them at the highest point of the waste and they let air in through a valve. Peter's solution is a lot better, but mine is a lot quicker if it does the trick!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I bought two from Wickes, but it was a while ago... We also have both appliances connected to a twin spigot on the sink and everything seems to work fine. The sink drain is a short 40mm waste pipe to external hopper, if that makes a difference.

Lee

Reply to
Lee