dishwasher Vs eggy plate and roast dish

A friend has a 3 year old Bosch dishwasher which can cope with plates that have been left with egg on them.The Sunday roast dish goes in after a soak during dinner. He scrapes the scraps off and does not rinse anything but th e roast dish. The filter gets cleaned once every three months. He uses what ever dishwasher tablets are on offer. My now dead dishwasher could hardly cope with toast crumbs. Unfortunately I cannot talk him into refurbishing his kitchen, and the mach ine is not in stock.

Bosch pre-sales advice from Carly "Rinse the dishes before you put them in"

Anyone recommend a dishwasher that measures up?

Reply to
misterroy

I cant recommend one BUT if my wife fills the dishwasher chances are not all will be cleaned if I do it is sparkling clean. When its ready for a wash I put it on a rinse cycle which is basically a cold shower for them, this in theory softens all the gunge and then an hour or so later or when I remember I put it on a wash cycle, never fails for me. Its a cheapo dishwasher.

Reply to
ss

There's probably a virtually identical Siemens model.

"Not in stock". What, everywhere?

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I lived in the US the house I bought came with a plumbed in d/w. A GE model IIRC. During the 12 years I then had it, I never rinsed anything and never had the slightest problem with stuff being left on anything. What is it with models here that can't do the job properly?

And what is it with d/w vendors that they all have convoluted upper racks so that things you put in there topple over. This item:

illustrates what I mean. And the reaction of the salesman is "Not much call for that round here, Squire". The GE one had rows in the upper rack that were horizontal, so you could put any item anywhere. Much better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I use the roasting tin to make the gravy. Put it on the hob (providing it is flamepoof), and pour in a small glass of red wine. Whilst it's boiling, use a wooden spatula to scrape the remaining contents of the roasting tin off into the boiling wine. Pour into a fat separation gravy boat to serve. If you did it right, the roasting tin will be almost clean, or you're wasting good flavouring for the gravy.

What sort of settings does it have? Have you checked if the arms actually rotate? Spin by hand to make sure nothing is obstructing them before starting, and whilst its washing, open the door a few times and make sure the arms are not always on the same position.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

t have been left with egg on them.The Sunday roast dish goes in after a soa k during dinner. He scrapes the scraps off and does not rinse anything but the roast dish. The filter gets cleaned once every three months. He uses wh atever dishwasher tablets are on offer.

chine is not in stock.

Most common reason for poor performance is arms not rotating due to somethi ng stuck in the jet holes.

I add a little bit of washing up liquid as well, helps degunge the plumbing .

If all else fails, bleach digests most food residues over a day or 2.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , misterroy writes

I'm pleased with my new (aslo) Bosch dishwasher:

Though I got mine cheaper and with a cashback offer from ao.com a couple of months ago.

It's a very good machine, very quiet, and washing performance is much better than my old AEG. it hasn't always coped with all the burnt on bits on the edge of a casserole dish,but otherwise it pretty much has dealt with everything. I'm sure other simialr models will be equally as good.

Re the rinsing, the instructions say not to rinse off, just to scrape off food scraps. The machine has sensors which measure the turbidity of the water and use this to work help out when things are clean (or something along those lines). If dishes are too clean when they go in more stuck on scraps can be left on the plates as the machies misjudges how dirty they are.

BTW, highly recommend ao.com (use to be Appliances online). I bought my machine, and the next day bosch launched a cashback promotion, £75 for this model. I rang them intending to cancel and reorder. They offered to just credit me the £75 directly. All dealt with very efficiently

Reply to
chris French

The intention, which works for me, is that the slight incline allows the bottoms of inverted cup, mugs, glasses etc. to drain fully.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

You mean you want one the same? Bosch platform shares with Siemens and NEFF and, certainly a few years ago, the top models had identical gubbins to the bottom ones, only with more a greater selection of programmes, a delay function and better wire racks (the fold down tines at the back of the lower rack) so you can get one to suit the pocket.

OTOH, I just picked up a Bosch Exxcel from Freecycle thrown at as broken and fixed it in 49 seconds (a new personal best.) New cutlery rack for £5 and pulled it apart to rescue the red 7-segment display cover; good as new.

Failing all that, how is your current one stacked? Really hard core cooking residue wants to be face down in the bottom, not overlapping anything. From bitter experience many people would get a better wash from their machine if they simply threw away the racks, tipped the thing on its back and lobbed everything in the top.

Reply to
Scott M

We never had a problem with our old Neff, and we don't have a problem with our current Zanussi.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, it doesn't work for me. When I empty our *Bosch* built-in d/w, I have to remove each item which has a sunken bottom, tilt it to let the water drip off, and replace it so it can then dry. These are items which would have to be at greater than 45 deg to drain by themselves.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No, that's also worse. Our tines collapse at the drop of a hat, so we've wired them vertical to prevent that. It's very irritating to be about to put the first plate in, and the whole thing folds flat just because you look at it.

And the effing door wants to close all the time. I have to kneel on it to prevent that. And I also had to learn, when emptying the lower shelf, to remove the stuff at the back first. Otherwise there is a risk the shelf will suddenly tip up and backwards.

This d/w (which was here when we moved in) is deffo a PoS. It's the worst d/w I've ever come across.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

Alternatively a quick dab with a tea towel while they are still warm from the drying cycle.

Usually by the time you have unloaded and put away the plates, bowls, glasses and cutlery they have fully dried.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You know what? I'm the dishwasher around here, but then its only my dishes. People keep on attempting to tell me to get a dishwasher, one person I know is always extolling the virtues of her Biko one, which I'm sure is a fine piece of gear, but for those of us who live alone is overkill. Besides, nowhere to put one.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

maybe someone needs to come up with a few kitchen sensors tied to an arduino and lcd, some to tell you the arms on the dishwasher are rotating properly or not, and one to tell you if the light in the fridge had gone out when you closed the door :)

Reply to
Gazz

I remember when we ran out of dishwasher tabs, the machine was loaded ready to go, i said i'd get some tabs when i went past the shops later that day, but noooo, the GF just had to have the dishwasher on right now, so she filled the tab drawer with washing up liquid,

half an hour later she tells me the DW is making a strange noise, it was the pump running dry, i open the door and the entire machine is filled with foam, which of course oozes out and covers the kitchen floor before i had time to shut the door again after my WTF moment,

Took me quite a while of adding bowls of water to the machine to get it to clear all the washing up liquid foam out.

Reply to
Gazz

Dad did that once with theirs. Someone looked into the kitchen after it had been on for a while, and the floor was several inches deep in foam.

We spent a while trying to scoop it up.

A small amount (a few drips each wash) does seem to dissolve some type of grease which the dishwasher detergent doesn't, and eventually builds up inside machines.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And... Breathe...

Don't get any of those prombles with the stand alone Bosch ones. Must be a feature of the built in ones, which of any sort of appliance be it fridge, freezer, etc always seem to be compromised in some way. Mind you, I can't even find the bloody things in other peoples' kitchens. Pain in the neck hiding them.

Reply to
Scott M

misterroy wrote on Nov 7, 2013:

My 2 year old Bosch Excell (still currently available) copes with virtually all food deposits. I never rinse or soak anything anything before putting in

- just scrape off anything easily movable. Everything comes out sparkling (after about 2.5 hours). I don't use cheapo dishwasher tabs though - usually Finish or some such, and I do clean the filter every week. I also run a cleaning cycle once a month with a dishwasher cleaning fluid.

Reply to
Mike Lane

It is handy to know that detergent foam can generally be significantly calmed with a little soap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon