Dishwasher rinse problem

Our dishwasher (a Baumatic) is failing to rinse properly, it may be failing to do other things properly as well but the rinsing is the obvious problem.

The symptom is dirty rinse water left in the dips in the bottoms of mugs etc. when the wash has finished, and also slightly 'not quite clear' glasses. The basic removal of dirt seems to be working OK still, it's just that the rinse isn't clean.

The only other thing I've noticed is that it seems to 'retry' starting up the main pump/wash motor sometimes. For example I ran a 'rinse only' cycle recently to see how it went and the pump seemed to try starting several times (with a momentary sound of splashing water etc.) before it actually started running continuously.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

I've checked for blockages as far as I can and have cleaned all the filters very thoroughly.

Reply to
usenet

Hi

Our Bosch was problematic when I first installed it in what sounds like similar ways. Fine, gritty debris; slightly unclean look to glasses; slightly strained sound to emptying.

After speaking with the tech line I was pointed towards ensuring there was the stated 'head' between the low and high points of the evacuation tube. I'd had this kind of trailing from low point on DW to point where it joined waste pipes.

I think 60cm was required. Once I'd got this in place using a bit of string and hook to lift it up all was well.

HTH IanC

Reply to
clowes_ian

This is a new problem on our Baumatic, it's been working fine for a year or so up until now.

I'll check the drain connection etc., it may be that it's not working as well as it should be and it's siphoning dirty water back or something.

Reply to
usenet

Hmmmm. I am wondering how much crud / dirty water is getting left behind. If it's a lot (most of what you would expect to have come off the dishes) then yes there is probably a problem but I have noticed that some food cause this to happen with ours. High starch food (beans and pulses) don't seem to be dissolved by the dishwasher powder. That causes a fine coating of starch to be left on the outside of the glasses leaving them dull we also get small grains of starch left in any dips. We wondered if the dishwasher was broken the first couple of times it happened until it click what was going on. Just rinse the plates and pans that have had high starch food in them before putting them in. We found rinse aid helped a little (mostly to brighten up the glasses) but you still end up with the starch in the dips. The best way is to just avoid putting it in in the first place.

Reply to
doozer

Check the filter/outlet hose isn't blocked by fat/debris and try a dose of dishwasher cleaner.

Also ensure that salt/rinse aid reservoirs are topped up.

Another thought: Are you using powder or those tablets with built in salt/rinse aid?

sPoNiX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Ditto for our Bosch except that the symptoms only started recently. It was cured by a really through clean of *everything* - one of those little bottles of cleaner which you stick in the cutlery rack and run a wash on; all filters removed and cleaned; both rotors out and checked for gunge and blockages; cover of sump unscrewed and bits of crud (which had got past the filters) removed from there-under.

Also cured the non-auto-dispensing rinse-aid auto-dispenser whose outlet was clogged with soap granules etc.

Don't know which of the above did the trick, but it's now fine!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We're currently using "those tablets with built in salt/rinse aid".

Do you think a dose of 'proper' salt and/or rinse aid might help its circulation? :-)

Reply to
usenet

If you're in a hard water area, yes, see:

Also check the fine filter isn't holed and is seated correctly.

A run with some dishwasher cleaner could help.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Our dishwasher (Ariston) used to start deposting "crud" on glasses etc when the salt reservoir ran low and/or the water hardness setting on the softener was set too low. Phone up your water company ask for the hardness, set dial on dishwasher accordingly, fill reservoir with salt, run empty as most dishwashers regenerate the softener at the end of their cycle. Much improved after doing that.

Also had the waste pump fail (replacement for £8 off Ebay) and before it failed completely used to give "dirty" washes as I assume it was not pumping the waste dirty water away sufficiently.

Anyway new pump in conjuntion with whole house water softener, I don't bother rinsing the plates etc just pile it all in and crystal sparkling clean wash every time.

Reply to
Ian_m