Dishwasher RCD trip

Yesterday I woke up in the morning to find the ring mains all dead. A process of elimination showed the fault to be the dishwasher, even when its programmer dial and front-panel switch were at the off position - which they'd been in since the machine was last used around a day earlier.

There was no fault with the 13A socket itself (it worked fine with something else plugged into it).

Google suggested the fault might be in the dishwasher's mains RF suppression capacitor, so I got the dishwasher out from under the worktop, and explored it until I found the relevant wiring.

By then the machine was tipped up, for easy access, and because there's not much working space in the kitchen at that point I had the dishwasher plugged in (when needed) to a 13A extension cord running to a more convenient 13A socket.

I couldn't then replicate the RCD trip. I also checked the wiring loom from machine's body to door, and the water heater though I didn't think either were likely to be the cause on a machine with switched off controller and power switch (unless they were faulty too). I tried a bucket of water tipped into the machine over the element as well. Still no RCD trip.

Hmmm. Surely it couldn't be a problem in the plug? But it was. There was a cremated caterpillar, about 1/4" long between the earth pin and the nearest edge of the fuse holder.

So, I feel like a fool for not checking the plug much earlier, but I also feel some sense of victory for avoiding a call-out fee to a local repair person whom I'm not convinced would have found the problem either.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

In article , Jeremy Nicoll - news posts scribeth thus

Look on the bright side your OK .. the Caterpillar bought it;(...

And as an additional bonus .. no repair call out fee:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Its the Underground Resistance! Bloody sabouteurs!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had something similar in the junction box that serves as a wiring centre for my central heating. In my case it was a chain of ants bridging live and earth.

Reply to
Graham.

I had it with a slug that had climbed up the flexi from below the floor into the back of a 13A socket.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

MM's black worms,must get around a bit.

Reply to
F Murtz

Do you think it felt anything?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

En el artículo , Jeremy Nicoll - news posts escribió:

Wonder what the resistance of a charred caterpillar is? :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

My ants bridged the terminals in an arc, and I fancy if the current wasn't limited to 30mA they would have glowed like an old carbon filament lamp.

Reply to
Graham.

I thought of them, as soon as I found the victim.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

The current isn't limited to 30mA ;-)

(an RCD has no ability to limit current, only the duration of connection when the current imbalance exceeds its threshold)

Reply to
John Rumm

Very often caused by the interference suppressor connected straight across the mains inlet. When you open up the back of a dishwasher for some other reason, it's not uncommon to find the suppressor has blown up at some time in the past (often without taking out any fuses or anyone noticing).

Given the large number of machines in use which no longer have them working, I would just remove it (safely).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel