Dishwasher problem

Hello all

My dishwasher has decided not to use the detergent tablet that I put in the little container on the door. It just comes out soggy. It seems to work okay if I just drop the table on the floor and let it wash as normal. Only problem is I'm a little worried that I'm not cleaning it all properly and so we're eating of dirty plates. Is this likely? Does the table have to be in that little box in order for the detergent to be applied at the correct point in the wash? Anyone know what the problem with the washer might be?

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly

Possibly the door is jamming against something (like a plate or saucepan) when it tries to open or it is gunked up and just needs a clean. Failing that the release mechanism is broken and probably needs replacing. The only problem with just throwing the tablet in is that some of it will get used on the prewash. As for your plates not being clean look at them. Do they look clean? If they do don't worry. If they are covered top to bottom in bits of half washed food they are probably dirty.

Reply to
doozer

It depends on the dishwasher. Many modern dishwashers have no need for a pre-rinse. For example, our Bosch dishwasher does not pre-rinse on the standard 65c setting.

It will only pre-rinse (and then a pre-rinse with hot water used on both the pre-rinse and main wash cycle) when the machine is set to

70c.

If the original poster is worried about the tablet breaking up during a pre-rinse then I suppose the answer would be to put the tablet in the bottom of the machine, wait until the machine pumps out the water from the pre-rinse and then check to see if the tablet is still relatively intact.

I used to drop the tablet directly into the machine when we had an old Hoover dishwasher. Even with a pre-rinse the tablet would not start to break up until it got to the main wash.

Graham

Reply to
graham

So... tablets used to work OK, and now don't; or have you just changed to using tablets and found they don't work?

If the former, how does the door container work: does it ping open during the wash (ie as the main wash cycle starts? Is it fully open when you inspect it at the end of the wash (and definitely hasn't been held partly shut *during* the wash by some obstacle in the machine)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's possible that the tablet is too big and is pushing the flap hard against the catch and preventing it opening.

An an experiment try using powder (Or a crushed tablet) and see if it works.

s--p--o--n--i--x

Good point - we recently bought some of these expensive tablety things with the little ball on the top. I'll try a different type.

Ta.

Reply to
John Kelly

probably

interesting. Mine prerinses, but the one thing it cant handle is egg. I wonder if putting a bit of ordinary washing up liquid in the prerinse could help it deal with this? Must try it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Not a good idea. Ordinary washing-up stuff is too foamy.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

I dunno. Do you remember seeing that early 1960's Rolling Stones video where they are playing (?) whilst foam builds up around them? Might have a beneficial effect for the kitchen..... ;)

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

prerinse

Oh, good point. Maybe automatic washing powder then. Thanks for warning me

On second thoughts, just a small amount would soon get unfoamed by the amount of food deposits there, its only when its in excess that it foams like a madman. Dare I?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

IME even trace amounts will make it foam like mad. Check the salt is topped up, the arm is not clagged, and try a longer program and liquid detergent as it uses a different chemistry.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Didn't work - left me with a soggy tablet in the little container. What actually makes the thing open up and let the soap out anyway? Maybe that mechanism's not well.

Reply to
John Kelly

But that's a no-brainer: is the container properly open at the end of the cycle, or not? :-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

No it's not - but what I don't know - is what opens it during the wash?

Reply to
John Kelly

if the container is partially but not fully opening, the chances are that it is being blocked by something in the dishwasher.

What kind of dishwasher is it? Ours opens the tablet dispenser mechanically. If you have a dial to turn for the program and the dial turns as the wash is progressed you can test the dispenser by closing it up (with no tablet/powder in there!) and turning the dial (with the door open so you can see what is happening). When the part of the cycle that needs detergent is reached the dispenser will (should) flip open.

If you have one of those new-fangled electronic devices, try running the fastest wash you have with a tablet in the dispenser but no dishes (or anything else) in the machine. If, at the end of the cycle) the tablet has completely dissolved and disappeared then the problem lies with the dishwasher filler upper (whoever that might be). If not and you still have a soggy undissolved tablet then you do at least know for sure where the problem lies - i.e. in the dispenser.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Haven't a clue; but if the container is still part closed at the end, with the door open (ie it's not being blocked by anything) then the problem is mechanical and nothing whatsoever to do with the tablets; which is what I was trying to establish!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Washing up liquid can end up over foaming. One option is to try a small amount of proper dishwasher liquid in the pre-rinse.

Does your dishwasher have a rinse and stand option? This is where it uses cold water to rinse the dishes on a short programme of about 5 -

10 minutes.

It might help if you ran the machine on a rinse and stand option after loading the machine if you are not proposing to put it straight on to a proper wash cycle.

Graham

Reply to
graham

In our Bosch, it's a solenoid inside the (appliance) door. If it's a sliding cover, check the grooves it runs in.

Reply to
Bob Eager

liquid

thanks Pete, I'll check those. I dont know how I could use liquid in it though, it would end up in the presoak rather than main wash. I'll check the powder dispenser, but I dont remember it being liquid proof.

The machine always does a 10 minute soak before main wash. Dishes are normally dried by the time it comes to washing them.

thanks NT

Reply to
bigcat