Dishwasher for student halls?

I rent so I cannot get a normal dishwasher that is plubmed in.

Is it possbile to buy a compact model?

I have an en-suite bathroom? - if it had some sort of tank or inlet pipe & could hook it up when I need to wash the dishes.

Otherwise it's plastic cutlery and paper plates

Reply to
barbican.angel

Can't you do washing up ?

I just had to ask.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 14 Mar 2007 04:58:06 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com wrote this:-

"Normal" dishwashers work fine in rented houses, provided the connections are available to use. If they are not that is something to discuss with the landlord.

I have an en-suite bathroom?

If you are not sure whether you do or not then how can we offer any advice?

Dishwashers (and clothes washing machines) can be connected to taps and the outlet hooked over a sink. However, if you do have an en-suite bathroom the sink may not be able to discharge water from the dishwasher fast enough. There is also the question of how it will be connected to the electricity supply.

that there are many sources of something that can be used to clean china dishes. Using these products also requires a small bit of elbow grease and a dishcloth.

Reply to
David Hansen

I take it you haven't got to the washing up part of your media studies course yet? You could ask a lecturer to show you one of the 'hands that do dishes' classic Fairly Liquid ads. It will give you the general idea - and like all else should be backed up by practicals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The advanced model could be "How to wash your levis in a laundrette"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Like the famous story of the Italian fish monger?

Gervais is a fish monger, and has been for many many years. To be honest he is getting rather fed up with the early morning trips to the fish market, and all the competition from the supermarkets means the job is no longer as profitable as it once was. So he hits upon the idea of opening a speciality fish restaurant instead. After the conversion of the shop the business is a big hit with the locals. Its a swanky place with tanks all around the walls with live fish in. You can order what you want just by pointing it out in a tank if you like, and they will catch it and cook it for you right there and then!

One day a gentleman walks into the shop and explains to Gervais that he wants to try something very different. So suggests lobster. The man says "no, I have had that many times". Gervais suggests a few more things that the man also rejects. So in the end he says "come with me", and leads the man to a small tank at the back of the restaurant. In it is a small green octopus. "How about that?" says Gervais. The man says, "Well I am sure I have eaten octopus before you know". But Gervais say "Ah, but look closely, this one is unlike anything you will have tasted before. Note the vary rare translucent green colour for a start, and also if you look closely above the beak there is a small hair protuberance not unlike a moustache. This is a sure sign of a delicious one". "OK" says the man, "You have me convinced - I will try it".

So Gervais pulls the small creature from the tank and carts it off to the kitchen. He sticks it down on a chopping block and reaches for his cleaver. However before chopping the little fellow up he pauses and looks at it. It has the sad wistful expression on its little face, and as Gervais raises the cleaver ready to strike, the big eyes seem to fill with tears. Gervais lacks the heart to kill the poor little thing. He thinks to himself "this is stupid, I am a fish monger, I have been working with fish for decades - I ought to be able to kill a fish". But try as he might, he cannot bring himself to do it.

He shouts out to to Hans "Come here will you". So Hans (a big strapping bloke built like a German outhouse), stops doing the washing up and comes over. Gervais hands him the cleaver and says "Kill this fish for me! Here use this". Hans takes the cleaver and raises it ready to strike the octopus. But now the eyes are actually crying, and the beak has a little quiver about it! In the end, Hans does not have the heart to kill it either. So the critter goes back in the tank, and the customer has to make do with cod and chips!

However, this storey does tell us one thing....

(wait for it)

(ready?)

The Hans that do dishes is as soft as Gervais, with mild green hairy lip squid!

(ok, I will get my coat!)

Reply to
John Rumm

why not, flat lack the connectors? If so just get dracula connectors from wickes etc.

depends if you have the money I spose

you can connect the inlet pipe to the tap using a connector from a garden centre that fixes to the tap, then you push&click the pipe with its connector onto the tap connector, and pull off as wanted.

Drain hose goes over the edge of the sink. It is very unlikely that the water delivery would be too fast for the sink.

A4 paper is cheaper. You shouldnt be short of that. Think junk mail.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I always managed by limiting myself to just a couple of real plates. Go for 2 of everything. Then you have to wash it up frequently in order to use it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Aren't there any female students sharing the house?

Reply to
mike

excellent

Reply to
mike

Reference to that story on Wogan this very morning...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 14 Mar 2007 04:58:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@inbox.com mused:

Why not? My Sisters rented and most landlords have been reasonable wrt the odd jobs here and there. They'll usually split the cost if ask them nicely to install something that you don't need.

Being in a property that someone has decided to rent to students though could mean that you'll get nothing.

Yes. Tabletop\compact

That's called a washing up bowl. You fill the tank (bowl) with water from the inlet pipe (tap) and hook up the dishes (put them in the sink).

tbh, I make it sound like I wouldn't do the same. I wouldn't be without a dishwasher, if I couldn't have one I'd be off down Dominos every night.

Reply to
Lurch