Dishwasher drainage pump running constantly with door open and no water to drain.

Hi,

I had a problem with my Siemens dishwasher(SL65M350GB) whereby it wouldn't drain. After emptying the water in the bottom of the washer manually I took apart the bottom filters in the bottom of the dishwasher unscrewed the pump cover and got to the impeller where I found a rubber band wrapped round.

After clearing this band from the impeller as soon as I switch the power on to the dishwasher the pump runs all the time even with the door open and with no water to drain.

The washer then doesn't get past this it just keeps running in this mode.

I tried filling the bottom of the dishwasher with some water but this which then drained but the pump kept on running and didn't make any difference.

any ideas?

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

I had this with a Bosch. There was a float switch in the base of the unit[1] that would run the pump if it filled with water. A slow drip from the inlet valve joint had, over a couple of years, filled it and finally tripped it.

[1] ie outside the usual water containing bits, 1/4" off the floor.
Reply to
Scott M

Many Thanks Scott! - got the (integrated ) dishwasher out - tipped it horizontally ( not the most elegant solution), water appeared and then it started working normally.

Many Thanks again Chris

Reply to
Chris

Who needs elegant :-) Glad to be of help.

Reply to
Scott M

I know this has now been resolved, but just a quick note for others that may need it in the future. There is another type that instead of having a water retaining base and a float switch, has an open base and a microswitch held closed by a piece of sponge. When it gets wet, the foam softens and the switch opens. To fix, you have to remove and dry the sponge. In our case, it was not wet, it was just that over the years the sponge had gradually compressed - sorted out by reversing the sponge.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker