Dishwasher destruction...

The trick is to find the object which caused the damage and use it as a template for the repair. In this case inserting the small child between the door and casing at about the mid point and applying a counter force to the door for an hour or two should cure things. Being squishy the child will deform under the pressure on the door so the paintwork won't get damaged.

Alternatively - look at the hinges - they are usually simple pivots which easily deform - it is more likely one of these has moved or bent that the door itself has significantly deformed.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I was going to suggest something similar - again from the technique for making car doors shut squarely.

Jam a hammer shaft between the door and the body, near the hinge, on the side which shuts fully - and then push firmly on the *other* side near the top. That should twist the door and/or hinges back into alignment so that it shuts properly.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This was on the basis of the bill going to the irresponsible relative.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

That's OK if she could claim off HER insurance, but I'm sure she has no public liaibility insurance :-). The "bill" is the ultimate cost to you of that claim in terms of increased premium on an ongoing basis and the fact that your name, as a listed claimant, is on a list of "undesirables" ciruclated around all the major insurers on a "beware this potential customer" basis. It's your sister-in-law you want to have classified as an undesirable! (well, if she'd been desirable in the first place, you'd have gone for her anyway, wouldn't you? :-) )

Reply to
Appin

I'm afraid if the child was seen about to bounce on it and the parent didn't pick the child up and restrain it then there'd be words about it. (And if not, then who lets their kid in a kitchen unsupervised?)

Price up a new door and tell her how much it costs.

There's only so much you can do if someone is not going to stop their kid being devilish.

Someone I know toddled round following a two year old and let them look in the fridge, not being able to stop them in time as they dropped a box of eggs. "I thought they'd know they'd break if they dropped them" Kids no nothing until they are taught it or manage to learn it for themselves and some people seem incapable of using the word no or stop in a useful way.

The kitchen is not a playroom for a young child and the streets are not youth clubs for older ones.

Reply to
mogga

She's like me, she puts table knives handle down, sharp cooking knives point down.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Likely the cabinet twisted due to the feet needing adjusting - mine is very sensitive to a slight miss-alignment. Does the catch engage without touching the sides (if you understand what I am trying to say?)

Reply to
John

Yes, I have a 7YO and a 10YO ( both rather boisterous boys. )

I agree with almost everything you say. I am not expecting them to pay for the damage, nor will I be claiming it on insurance. I simply accept it as one of these things. I just wanted to have a good grump about it.

The thing I find galling is the parent's lack of supervision or responsibilty.

Our house is fairly child-friendly, as our own 2 are only just old enough not to break things. When they were small, and we visited other houses, we applied a higher standard of supervison than we did at home. This was what I considered a common courtesey. I feel the courtesey was not being reciprocated.

The 2YO is left to roam around our house un-supervised. The mother sits and watches daytime TV, and when the inevitable from a distant quarter of the house happens, the reaction is 'I can't watch them all the time'. Well, I'd disagree. When I had 2YOs, we *did* watch them all the time when they wandered around other people's houses.

Even when mischief is in progress under her nose, it goes: 'Don't to that, diddums. No, put it down. Put it down, diddums, it's expensive. ' 'Oh, dear. He never does *anything* I ask...' etc etc. What do you expect, he's 2! You need to pick him up and distract him to something else. But there's no actual enforcement. It falls to *me* to go and scoop him up and find a distraction. On one occasion, this caused a great wailing, and I'm now called the 'Bad Man'. :-)

The kid and I actually have a good relationship. I know it's just the nature of a 2YO. And we joke about me being 'Bad Man'. But there you are.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

From here you look more like, "The saintly guy who restrained himself from bludgeoning a small child with the platter from a sticky-fingered Sondek"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Ron Lowe writes

:)

Absolutely!

Oh no they're not it's just that from now on they'll try & a) fix what they break or b) hide what they break and therefore c) you may not realise what's been broken until months/years later. :)

Of course.

Absolutely!

Yep.

Or at least ensured that they were in a place they could do no damage or took turns with other adults to supervise?

We were lucky in one sense. SWMBO is an only child and my sibs are childless. Thus we had a choice whether to allow such tneraps (well, they're not parents are they!) into our home. Once we recognised such behaviour we only ever invited the child alone & never the tnerap.

& what she doesn't realise is that it's she who is really missing out - on the enthusiasm a 2yo has and the fun she could be having with him and on the deep relationship she could be forming with him.

Leave her to her selfishness Ron, you're doing great so feel good about it. :)

Reply to
Si

Are you sure you aren't me? I've also ground my own telescope mirrors in the past...

J^n

Reply to
jkn

This sort of thing happens here quite a lot. It seems the same kind of people migrate here, with similar backgrounds / interests etc. No matter what topic comes up, there's usually a chorus of "I have one of those too..." etc.

However grinding your own optics is way beyond anything I could attempt!

Reply to
Ron Lowe

The message from "Ron Lowe" contains these words:

But if you're here you've got an inquiring mind and a willingness to have a go at addressing a problem, so under expert tuition ............... :-)

The thing that stops most of us, though, is the difficulty in getting round tuits.

Reply to
Appin

Too, too true. Unfortunately. And Usenet is such a wonderful displacement activity....

Sid

Reply to
unopened

I also made it clear that consequent costs should be included.....

Reply to
Andy Hall