Dishwasher - cloudy glasses

I bought a Bosch dishwasher about a year ago. It's absolutely brilliant and I don't know how I ever managed without one. The only niggle is that some, but not all of my glassware has ended up with a partial cloudy appearance. Is there any way to avoid this and can the cloudy film be removed? The glassware most affected are cheap supermarket 1/2 pint tumblers. My wineglasses (also cheap) seem unaffected.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Not sure you can rescue them once it's happened. You can help to avoid it by making sure that the rinse agent dispenser and salt container are not allowed to become empty.

Reply to
Set Square

It depends on the detergent that you have been using - some will slowly etch some glass and given that one type of glasses has suffered while the other has not probably confirms it. Either you cloudy glasses are not dishwasher proof and need to be washed by hand, you need to accept the cloudiness or you could try another detergent.

The cloudiness can't be removed.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Harry Ziman

Never put lead glass in a dishwasher.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

No reason why you couldn't polish them. Will be a lot of work though. See rec.crafts.glass

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , MrCheerful writes

Are you suggesting that lead glass can cause cloudiness in other glasses?

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

no, the lead content in the glass reacts with the salts etc. in dishwash powder and turns the glass cloudy, I don't think it leaches out and effects other items.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Hi,

Do you live in a hard water area? One possibility is that scale particles forms in the water as it is heated and these particles abrade the glass and cause the cloudiness.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

Detergent gradually etches the glass. Never put good quality glass in the dishwasher, use cheap glassware for use in the dishwasher then you just replace it when it goes cloudy

Reply to
AK