Dishwasher - broken?

When cleaning out our dishwasher recently I removed the lower spray arm, which clicked out easily. Since putting the thing back together though I have noticed that the things in the lower basket do not clean properly and after removing the lower spray arm once more I can see that there is a gap going around the connector where I might expect a rubber seal to go. If this has broken it may explain why the things in the bottom of the dishwashers are not being cleaned as water may the escaping and the pressure of the spray may not be enough.

Does anyone know if it is usual for dishwashers to have rubber seals around the connectors for the spray arms?

Cheers,

Dave.

Reply to
mrdixson

Seals, yes, rubber no. You have probably lost a nylon thrust washer, have you checked the filter? Did you clean the arm and wash junk down into the jets?

Reply to
dennis

Never that I've seen. The friction would stop the spray arm going round. Check the holes in the arm aren't blocked, particularly any on the sides or angled ones which propell it round. Check it spins freely by hand -- that's a good thing to check when you've loaded the machine and are just about to switch it on. Check it's going around. Sometimes you can hear it, otherwise open the door a few times (not too quickly or you'll get sprayed) and make sure the arm isn't always in the same position. (Dishwasher detergent is corrosive -- wipe up any splashes and wash it off yourself.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just to add...friend of mine works in a burns unit and they get quite a few cases due to this stuff!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Agreed - and if all that checks out it's worth running a wash cycle with one of those "dishwasher cleaner" tablets or bottles. Poor performance can often be simply the result of grease and crud building up unseen in pipes etc, so you should rule that out.

David

Reply to
Lobster