Dishwasher breakdown

"whiskeyomega" wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 10:12

Oh dear. Suggest you use his bed as dirty washing up storage. Don't cook him any lunch either.

If you can slide the machine(s) out far enough to see round the back but leaving it/them connected, I would dry everything off, in particular the pipes, then turn the water back on. If you can't see anything, run your finger along the underside of the pipe from the back of the washing machine, then to the machine tap then along the plumbing. You'll soon be able to feel a couple of drops of water; it's the way I check my compression joints when plumbing if I can't see them well enough.

It would be fairly unlikely (though not impossible) for the copper or its joints to fail. Suspect the hose itself, the hose connections at either end (they both screw on and each has a large rubber washer which might have died or got damaged) and the tap valve.

Is there any possibility it's the drain side (was either machine running over night or before you noticed the leak. Sometimes a bit of crud in the u- trap can cause it to bubble back out of the standpipe - you might tell if you can see if the water looks clean or dirty.

If you are able to start the machine(s) with it out, and have a torch handy, all should become clear.

If it's the hose, they are standard (varying in length) so easy to get.

Don't know what else to suggest, but that's where I'd start.

Let us know what you find, or if I'm off teh mark, I apologise in adavnce, my eyes are falling out of my head (up till 5am rebuilding my email and antispam servers).

Reply to
Tim W

the drain.

problem was because I was not using a lime scale

When you got the dishwasher was there a water test kit to see if you needed to use a water softener? (I think ours had one but could be wrong) You could harrass the waterboard for a statement of how soft your water is and send it the dishwasher people.

the water drains has gone porous ( I know because it

furs up , why should the dishwasher?

two years ago when the suppressor broke.

It always makes me smile too. I've never seen anyone buy it though... (And if you did, would you say anything?)

Morrisons 22p a bag. :)

Reply to
mogga

19.8p/kg from Wickes, a bit too brown for putting on chips though!
Reply to
Andy Burns

And also to Manchester, Nottingham, Leicester and Derby.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , whiskeyomega

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim W writes

And dirt cheap. And simple to replace

Needs observational input from WO

Aah ... a cyberparty

(thinks ... must do a backup today)

Reply to
geoff

Absolutely. And those Victorian feats are often still very visible.

The important reason for cities obtaining water from remote rural sources was that local boreholes tended to be contaminated by sewage, causing no end of public health problems. Clean water supply and proper disposal and/or treatment of sewage helped make great advances in the state of Britain's public health in Victorian times.

One of the greatest achievements of all was Bazalgette's mammoth sewerage scheme in London, but the schemes to pipe clean water over long distances to Britain's industrial cities rank not far behind.

Reply to
Bruce

The Longdendale Valley reservoirs were Manchester's first major scheme to pipe water from well outside the city, being commissioned in 1851. Last time I looked, they were still in Derbyshire. But in your alternative version of reality, they could be absolutely anywhere, and are probably filled to the brim with cheap extra virgin olive oil.

Reply to
Bruce

mogga presented the following explanation :

There is a URL somewhere, into which you can enter your postcode and it gives you details of your water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Ten year old DW that leaks, not worth much even if it didn't leak =A325? Most of the appliance insurances really aren't worth the premiums. Better of putting the cash into an interest bearing "Rainy Day" account.

"Rainy Day" funds are for this sort of sudden expense aren't they?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably all piped in from France these days :-)

Reply to
Jules

I thought you did all that stuff just before Christmas.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But according to you, all the water in Derbyshire goes to Sheffield and Stockport! What a prat.

Reply to
Bruce

I see you're still a liar.

Indeed you're a complete pillock.

Reply to
Steve Firth

ARWadsworth wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 17:40

That was the physical side.

I just felt it was time to polish the software side (and my mail server blowing up did kind of cement that idea!).

All good fun :)

Reply to
Tim W

There is a time for throwing in the towel. I avoid insurance but then I fix most things myself. Having said that I also value my time, and if my 10 year old dishwasher started leaking, I'd be tempted to buy another. A year ago I bought one of eBay for £110, it was new and still wrapped in cellophane.

Reply to
Fredxx