Dishwasher breakdown

It never rains but pours in this house.

My dishwasher has tipped its water onto the floor instead of pumping out down the drain. This is because something is broken.

I sent for the repair man ( its insured) . I was told on the phone that the problem was because I was not using a lime scale remover and so the dishwasher had corroded.

It might be true its corroded or something , like a seal on the bottom where the water drains has gone porous ( I know because it has fallen off in two pieces and the dishwasher is a bit rusty but its 11 years old).

I have been told I have to buy and use this lime scale stuff when the repair man comes.

I don't want to sound daft, but we have very water where I live. Nothing else furs up , why should the dishwasher?

I just put the problem down to old age of the machine. It went wrong about two years ago when the suppressor broke.

Should I just pay the £11 for this stuff and shut up?

Oh, and will it be OK down my septic tank?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Sounds a bit of a con - At 11 years old perhaps time for a new one - if there is known corrosion then it will only get worse.

Reply to
John

problem was because I was not using a lime scale

the water drains has gone porous ( I know because it

furs up , why should the dishwasher?

years ago when the suppressor broke.

Always makes me laugh why all the Supermarkets round here stock dishwasher salt when Manchester water is notoriously soft, and salt is not required. Mind you, I bought several bags of it the other day from Tesco at 38 pence/kg to sprinkle on my icy driveway.

So what's this £11 stuff then?

Reply to
Graham.

Mm. But presumably people must be buying it, and if one supermarket didn't stock it then the (dozy) punters would just go down the road and buy it elsewhere. So can't really blame the retailers!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I live in the Manchester area too and I laugh when every so often they run adverts for Calgon on Granada, which is of course itself based in Manchester!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

When the man came he said it was like Calgon but that given we were soft water here we didnt need it and really the thing that went wrong with the machine was a seal wore out. He replaced it.

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Not salt but a descaler. As the OPs water is soft, nothing furs up, then they don't need a descaler. Insurance company trying to wriggle out of coughing up either now in the future. Unless there is a condition to use this product is in the terms & conditions of the policy they don't have a leg to stand on if they wish to chnage the T&C's to include it then I wouldn't renew or negociate a reduction in the premium by at least =A350.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's why there's so much in stock.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yep - Oxo, Knorr and so on are full of it.

Reply to
Rod

Manchester water? Don't you mean Welsh water?

If you had to drink Manchester water you'd be dead inside a week.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Mancunians drink Derbyshire water.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I always thought it came from the Lake District. It did when I lived in that area.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You're right. Most of it comes from Thirlmere (Cumbria) via a 96-mile pipeline. Most or all of the rest is from the Longdendale Valley in the Peak District National Park, including Woodhead reservoir.

Reply to
Bruce

Also Haweswater (Cumbria).

Most or all of the rest is from the Longdendale Valley in

Reply to
Bruce

..and Welsh water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Since when has Thirlmere been in Derbyshire?

Reply to
<me9

Manchester's Longdendale Valley water supply from the Peak District National Park pre-dated the Thirlmere/Haweswater supply from the Lake District.

Reply to
Bruce

Umm not really the Derbyshire water goes to Sheffield and to Stockport.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Oh well I take it back. It seems there may have been nothing wrong with the dish washer at all.

It was still leaking this morning. I think it might be the plumbing behind the washing machine , although how that could put so much water onto the floor I don't know. Its just dripping constantly somewhere across the mains intake.

Floor remains wet. OH remains in bed, having switched the water off so that it cant leak and so that I cant use the dishwasher. Cant bring in a plumber ( he wont let me - remember he is one!) and OH wont fix it.

Its a copper connection to a valve and then a plastic lead ( plastic lead is OK I checked it) so its on the fitting/ pipe. Cold fill only. Any suggestions to fix it ( and find precisely where its leaking)?

Reply to
whiskeyomega

Some amazing engineering feats were done in order to provide water many years ago.

Reply to
John