Dish washer leaving crud on knives

Quite some time ago, I posted about our dishwasher leaving a brown crusty deposit on the knives of our dinner set.

At that time it was decided that it was down to the fact that there must be some iron in the dishwasher. The D/W that we had then, did have the tip of one of the dividers showing the metal underneath, so I put the crusty deposits down to that.

When we bought a new (Boch) D/W everything looked fine for a while, until we got the same problem. I realized that we were loading it with carbon steel kitchen knives (the use of these knives is very variable, hence my not noticing any crud on the cutlery, when we did not use them for a few weeks). I stopped doing this and our cutlery knives started to come out clean again.

I then started to introduce 'supposedly' stainless equipment, in order to determine what could go in the D/W and what to avoid. After a shaky start, it now looks like I am back to square one.

With just the cutlery from the set being the only metal allowed in the D/W we are still getting the brown crud on the knives. I have to say that forks and spoons do not suffer the same fate.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

None at all, I'm afraid but I'll be interested in the outcome as I get exactly this problem as well,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

We had the same problem (Old Hoover Crystaljet). It was just the blades of the highly polished stainless steel table knives which were affected. I put it down to the high levels of salt used in the rinse process causing them to rust. I guess the only solution is to take out the knives at the end of the washing cycle & rinse them. We tend to wash them by hand now. I think that the cutlery manufacturer put more carbon into the blades to improve the hardness & this causes them to be less resistant to rust.

Chris

Reply to
Skokiaan

IME, stainless steel cutlery tends to develop pit marks and staining in most dishwashers and it is related to the way it is touching in the cutlery basket.

The reason I say this is that we have just bought a Miele d/w with a separate tray at the top for cutlery. In this you have place the knives and forks in a rack so they don't touch - result: sparkling cutlery and no rust deposits.

John

Reply to
john51

IME, stainless steel cutlery tends to develop pit marks and staining in most dishwashers and it is related to the way it is touching in the cutlery basket.

The reason I say this is that we have just bought a Miele d/w with a separate tray at the top for cutlery. In this you have place the knives and forks in a rack so they don't touch - result: sparkling cutlery and no rust deposits.

John

Reply to
john51

Same here, but they are not highly polished anymore :-( I can recover the shine, so I am not bothered about that for the moment.

When you mention salt, do you mean the salt in the drawer to neutralise calcium, or salt in, lets call it , 'Rinse Aid'?

All that you have written in that para sounds like good info, but I can't be a**ed to do hand washing any more.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
Dave