Discussion - Earthing a ring main 13A socket metal back-box

You can find them with MK Grid frame on a conventional backbox. A grid frame has an adjustable lug which depending on orientation may combine with the conventional box adjustable lug to result in two adjustable lugs. The grid frame has its own earth terminal. MK grid backboxes (flush n surface) have two fixed lugs since the grid frame provides an adjustable one.

Yes, but the OP was refering to normal sockets.

I would bond a grid switch to the back box:-)

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

----- Original Message ----- From: "js.b1" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 5:48 PM Subject: Re: Discussion - Earthing a ring main 13A socket metal back-box

I once had a customer complaining about getting electric shocks from the washing machine.

I do believe that because the kitchen fitter has terminated the cpcs at the brass terminal of the plastic pattress and not at the socket's earth terminals probably had something to do with that:-)

To be fair, the terminal did have an earth symbol embossed in the plastic!!!!!

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ours removed FT because of no CPC, then fitted FTE - but without connecting the CPC to backboxes or class-1 light which was directly over and inches from the only place to put a kettle. The insulated cores were stripped somewhere near ceiling level.

The light switch did not get the CPC connected before tiling. We know that because the tiles were cut to go over the backbox stopping short of hitting the mechanism at the back of the light switch and obscure the terminal. Makes you laugh, cry, laugh!

Indeed, does flickr work...

is what happens when kettle steam under a cupboard hits a cold area. No the pipe did not leak. Sockets do not seal well against tiles, you can see the "tile overlapping into socket cut around a particular socket". The wall is solid, subject to penetrating rain, low wet verge, zone box required due to sloping roof, backboxes now Clipsal BS4662 55mm deep plastic. Did think about flush mounting Clipsal IP66 with the clear lid, easy undo, but they lack a switch. Would look ok tho and great re splashproof self closure. The waterproof box was considered for a leaking washer hose which was pointed directly at the fitting. I may Clipsal IP66 that so when a plumber works the plug is out, the fitting is at least sealed. Plumbers get messy when they see solid floors.

Reply to
js.b1