Disconnecting incoming telephone drop wire.

Can the telephone drop wire (the wire that comes into my house from outside) be temporarily disconnected, without causing anything undesirable to happen to the telephone system?

The wire comes into my house and terminates at a junction box, where only the orange and white are connected. A very short length of wire leaves this junction box to be terminated at a master socket.

I want to re-route the path that the drop wire takes as it comes into my house, and this requires disconnecting it so it can be threaded through a different path.

Regards.

Reply to
Cycle

Mine were joined with sellotape outdoors for several weeks. Made no difference to the phone or internet.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Cycle was thinking very hard :

Officially you are not permitted to touch it. Unofficially they will not notice if you disconnect it briefly and reconnect it. The exchange runs a line test during the wee hours, which is designed to ensure there are no problems/faults/disconnections on your line.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No problems but make sure to connect it back correctly and insulate against possible shorts or indeed touching a conductor while moving it. Although the DC voltage is nominally safe, the ringing volts could give you a nasty surprise. So treat it as you would a live mains cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.

Just do it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Especially if you're up a ladder, in the rain. DAMHIKT!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Many thanks to all for the really helpful information. It is much appreciated: I can have a go at the job now and expect it to be successful.

Regards

Cycle.

Reply to
Cycle

successful.

You ain't supposed to do it, but nothing horrid (technically) will happen if you do. But if BT catch you they will probably flog you to death with a wet lettuce !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Ringing voltage can hurt but it's certainly not dangerous, (unless it causes you to fall off your ladder) had oodles of fun with it as a PO apprentice, but that was a whole career ago:-(

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Telex voltage was significantly worse. You don't strip those with your teeth...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In a modern context don't use your teeth on ISDN...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice