Disconnecting gas cooker in Suffolk - help!

LoL!

For any that care, from BS 6172 - 2010 Section 12:

"Stability devices Unless otherwise stated in the manufacturer's instructions, a free-standing cooking appliance using a flexible connector shall be fitted with a stability device firmly secured to the fabric of the building."

"COMMENTARY ON CLAUSE 12 Two typical stability devices are shown in Figure 3. In the arrangement illustrated in Figure 3a) the bracket should be adjusted to give the smallest practical clearance between the bracket and the bottom of the engagement slot in the rear of the cooker. For that illustrated in Figure 3b), the stability chain should be kept as short as practicable and fixed firmly to the rear of the cooker.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its a fairly common kitchen injury - typically when someone trips or falls onto an open oven door (or a child stands on it), and that tips the cooker forward enough for the pans to fall off the hob onto the victim.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have a word with the house clearers... for a few quid I'm sure they'd know how to disconnect it?

Reply to
WeeBob

I though the chain was less for toppling (cookers don't have a massively high CoG) but more to stop people pulling the cooker out beyond the reach of the pipe (and thus risk breaking the pipe with the attendant gas leak) ?

Is cooker toppling a real risk ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dunno...but SWMBO is there right now and she can't move the bayonet fitting at all. Hose won't turn.

Reply to
Bob Eager

After all this time that doesn't surprise me.

I would knock/hammer the locking ring in a few mm.

She might then have a fighting chance of turning it.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Certainly a risk if the oven door opens downwards. Then a child could stand on that and topple the whole thing on top of themselves. That could kill them.

Reply to
GB

So nothing to do with it being gas then.

And the chances of the oven door being left open, AND pans being on the top, AND someone falling onto it are pretty remote. Anyway, a cooker is VERY heavy, the above scenario is unlikely to cause that problem.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Probably pull the plasterboard or rawl plugs etc out anyway.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The hose shouldn't, unless the connector does as well.

Reply to
charles

I knew my mother. You did not know yours.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've ragged 3 of them out. None were chained.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

My Mum hated drop down oven doors with a vengeance. We had to wait until the 1990s to replace the 1960s "New World" cooker we had, mainly because it seemed all cookers from the Gas Board (look it up kids) only came with drop down doors.

Here's another blast from the past ... "gas match" :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I would not be impressed by any house clearer who could not cope! (a bit different if it was a plumbed-in hob).

Reply to
newshound

Agreed. Sticky o-ring? WD40 is another option. It does help if one has done them before, so that you know that you have to push and twist if it is stiff, and not just twist. Same as a light bulb. Anticlockwise.

Reply to
newshound

If there's a gas leak from a split or abraded hose then Transco will come out for free and disconnect the appliance or cap off at the meter.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The hose doesn't turn. It's not meant to. It's only the knurled collar that turns, and only after you push the hose deeper (usually "up") into the fitting.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh I do, it's her mothers side where a few things on the family tree don't quite add up. Not as bad as her Father though, he was born and lived somewhere around the Oswaldtwistle ,Accrington area. Fortunately any genes that would make me want to wear a flat cap,keep pigeons or a whippet, whine about how hard done by the North always is and a desire to buy garden ornaments in a poundshop and think them classy have had over a century to get washed out.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

The problem with that is a chain isn't likely to stop it happening.

Reply to
dennis

Mr Pounder Esquire scribbled

Noted - admission you don't know your father.

Reply to
Jonno