Disconnecting gas cooker

We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it - turn gas on and forget to light it scenario.

Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

If its the bayonet(push-fit) type? the valve will close and stay closed. If screw, this needs to be capped.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If it is to remain disconnected then you should not rely on the bayonet fitting to remain gas tight - it ought to be capped.

(even if disconnecting short term it is good plan to check it for gas soundness)

Reply to
John Rumm

Wouldn't you say that if that was the case then this is a faulty coupler?

By the way where does one obtain a capping for bayonet coupler?

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John is correct, a bayonet fitting should not be left unused and a 3/4" threaded cap screwed onto the backplate in its place.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

|We need to disconnect my father's gas cooker to ensure he can't use it - |turn gas on and forget to light it scenario. | |Is it acceptable to simply disconnect the flexible hose? Is the fitting |it connects to sufficiently gas tight over time?

Could you not replace the gas cooker with a new one with Flame Failure Devices fitted? I have them in the caravan and they seem very fool proof.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm trying to visualise a standard bayonet whch has a 3/4" connection. I only ever came acrosss 1/2".

To the OP If its one of the mini bayonets IIRC a sealing cap is already available from BES

Reply to
John

If he's forgetting to light the gas he's probably in danger of setting his sleeves etc on fire with a naked flame. An electric cooker might be a lot safer in the long run (or meals on wheels).

Reply to
John

Using a microwave now. Sadly, meals on wheels would be next.

If I get one, am I allowed to fit it? I'm not a corgi but we do have a cat!

To paraphrase Dirty Harry: "Ask yourself a question: do you feel competant punk?"

Give it a test when done to make sure there are no leaks - a can of leak detection spray, or failing that, some soapy water (wash any soap residue off after)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thread cap?mines just a bayonet fitting.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Are they on their site?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think he means a 1/2" bsp male plug to screw into the backplate AFTER removal of the bayonet not a cap to go on the bayonet but please do correct me if i am wrong.

Reply to
powerstation

Backplate? I'm assuming we are talking the oven here? if so then you dont disconnect the pipe from oven, its disconnected via the wall valve coupler itself.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

nooooo the part the bayonet screws into on the wall is a wallplate or backplate fitting

powerstation

standing pipeing being secured via wall clamps.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I did mean 1/2" - sorry (it was early)!

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Not always..

tarquinlinbin

Good idea. You must harp on about -never- using metal-foil containers (Meals on Wheels often supply portions in these) nor leaving any steel cutlery inside. My own parents-in-law are both very elderly, yet can usefully cook with their 700W microwave oven. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory