Disassembling Sony HC22e Mini-DV camcorder

Hi

I have a Sony HC22e Mini-DV camcorder, the screen of which has stopped working. I suspect that the Flex Cable between the camcorder body and the screen is broken. I have downloaded a Sony service manual for the camera and removed the indicated screws but it won't come apart. I suspect that there are some cunning little clips that have to be released somehow.

Does anyone know how to disassemble this camcorder please?

Best regards

David

Reply to
DavidA

When I had (sort of) similar problems with a flip type mobile phone I was amazed how much helpful privately posted stuff there was on the net. My guess is that as well as the screws, there are small "detent" type clips and you may need to spring the joint in just the right place with a fingernail or a thin knife blade. A lot of mobile phones are held together this way as well as with the screws. The art is knowing where it is safe to prise, which is where the web helps.

Reply to
newshound

Yes I've found the same: there seems to be a huge section of youtube where people demonstrate stripping many things down, which can be very handy for the diyer - so long as you learn to pick out the spoofs that are inevitably included. There are sites and pages devoted to disassembling all manner of things - this very laptop included. Sadly, I tried a few searches on this camcorder, but only came across the manuals, and similar questions from the OP on other fora. Worth keeping thinking of new ways to phrase your search parameters though, as all these mass produced consumer items need to be torn apart some time, and a great many people like us can't afford or don't trust the official service establishments.

Spamlet

I keep my old credit cards and use them to prise the case apart. Try jamming the corner of the card into the join between two sections of case. Advantage of CCs is they tend to deform rather than the case. If you have to use a knife to separate the parts it's likely to scratch the case if it's plastic.

HTH

Reply to
pjlusenet