Disabled Scooter on Beach

Just looking for ideas. My wife uses a disabled scooter and living right beside the sea she would like to make use of it. However its a shingle beach at the top and sand at the bottom and the scooter just stalls on the shingle bit. I was thinking of laying some sort of matting down to go over the shingle, say two lengths which I could keep repositioning etc. Any ideas about what could be used? I have tried a more powerful scooter with big wheels with the same result, I even thought about electric quad bike but perhaps not very practicable and difficult to get except in child versions so any other ideas appreciated.

Reply to
sjones

wrote

Sounds like a job for DIY catterpillar tracks to me :-)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Had crossed my mind too, where would you get the tracks from, and how would you keep them on?

Reply to
sjones

If you Google for all terrain wheelchair you get quite a few hits, if you then add "hire" to the search you could possibly find somewhere near you that could hire one from?

that or join your local Freecycle groups and ask if anyone has one you could borrow? There are some very helpful people on Freecycle; there might be some close to you who have found a solution to your problem already.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Rubber tracks often offered on eBay for use on micro and mini diggers. About £25 each.

That would be an ecumenical question.

You could try one of these for her:

it would come in handy for making castles and for taking a few pebbles home at the end of the day.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've seen some pretty big model tanks running on tracks..

Alternatively you could try some very large timimg belts etc. etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Like this?

second-hand rubber conveyor belting might suffice.

It might be a good idea to have a contingency plan for recover wife and/or scooter in the event of unexpected failure of the batteries or roadway. :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 03:00:16 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@scannex.co.uk wrote this:-

Old carpet. A long enough length may be carryable, depending on the amount of shingle. It only needs to be a bit wider then the track of the scooter.

Reply to
David Hansen