Dirty tile grouting

Hi, I have bought a house and the grout between the tiles (white on the wall) and on the floor is very dirty (nearly black in some places).

That is the best approach to cleaning this. Do I need to rake out the grout? If so, what is the best tool or technique? Will a wire brish attached to a drill wreck the til surface?

Or is there a chemical treatment that will work?

Thanks

Reply to
news.btinternet.com

Tooth brush and Domestos diluted bleach.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Are you in a hard water area? If so, the dirt will be embedded in scale: start with a mild acid spray (I use citric). Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

The off the shelf grout stain removers in the supermarkets work well. They are 'acitvated' bleach based e.g. more effective than standard bleach. That a nail brush and some elbow grease.

Reply to
david lang

Where do you get this acid spray?

Reply to
news.btinternet.com

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

I bought the acid from a manufacturing chemist (JM Loveridge). I think the spray device originally held Windolene. The citric acid is useful for all sorts of other things, like getting sweat stains out of clothes (uk.d-i-y thread of many years ago). Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

but doesnt stick that well to dried gunk.

Once youve done, brushing it with dry lime whitens it further.

If you get it properly clean, or redo it, I'd apply waterproof varnish to it. This makes it easier to clean and get less ditty, since youve then got a smooth gloss surface instead of a semi-rough cement finish.

NT

Reply to
meow2222