direction for LPG valves

looking for input on the subject of LPG and/or NG valves ........ somewhere in my distant past I once actually was registered to fit domestic gas ....... but that was over 10 years ago ....... and i have a faint memory that may or may not be my imagination and failing memory of old age (well middle age really) ....... something about gas supply valves not pointing downards towards an appliance ... something to do with CO rising perhaps? ..... anyone shed some light on to this?

thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Are you perhaps thinking of lever valves which should be oriented so that the weight of a closed valve lever cannot influence the valve to open again by gravity? You could regard a lever which is down to open rather than up to open as contravening this requirement, certainly the ubiquitous gas service valve adjacent to the meter (AKA known as emergency valve and various other titles - it changes its name every now and again according to the whims of whoever is writing regs at the time) should have the lever vertically upwards when "on" and horizontal when "off"

Reply to
John

nope ..... I'm sure it was something about gas taps for isolating appliances not being fitted pointing down

thanks for the reply

Reply to
Simon

Perhaps this stems from the need to install bayonet socket connections pointing down (to prevent ingress of dirt).

Reply to
Ed Sirett