DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE - any special precautions?

Hi,

Just wanted to run this by... Got my discount PU glue today (Everbuild 30 minute). It's in tubes for silicone gun dispensing and is a gel.

I'm not familiar with this chemical:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

(sorry for caps, cut'n'paste)

Trouble is all COSHH sheets read more of less as "you will die unless you wear an NBC suit".

If I wear rubber gloves and work upstairs with the windows open, do I have anything to worry about with this stuff? I don't have any organic filter face masks... How volatile is the above?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this an expanding foam adhesive? I've used it a few times, when I was rebuilding the conservatory in the joints, and also when making a plinth for the shower. Never took any special precautions other than common sense. Use well ventilated and don't have any naked flames close. Oh, and it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket if you dab any where you don't want it!

Reply to
The Wanderer

The Wanderer wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 17:37

No, it's not foam-in-a-can.

It's a gel glue for bonding wood. It claims to foam *slightly* but not like the can stuff.

I'm going to test a little bit in the minute on some scrap as I have never used it before. It's when I start squeezing out 8m long beads with my nose next to it for 20 minutes is the only concern.

Stupid COSHH bollocks. If they didn't overrate *everything* as risky (cf diHydrogen Monoxide), it would be easier to judge if something was

*actually* nasty or not...

I don't think it's likely to be that bad (but I foolishly read the sheet, so I'm now cautious), but as it says it has little odour it's not going to be obvious if I'm buried in fumes...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Wearing my, slightly dusty, toxicologist's hat I read the MSDS data sheet and it doesn't seem too scary to me. The safety instructions only say to use breathing protection if there is inadequate ventilation so as long as you have a window open you should be fine. Don't blame me though if you end up with FLKs (*).

Cheers

Mark

(*)Funny looking kids

Mark Spice

Nail, hit, head.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mark Spice wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 18:15

That's very kind of you good sir.

Thanks - I feel assured now. Good cross-flow ventilation as I can open windows both ends of the room :)

Too late - the deed is already done(!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bad choice of words on my part. The stuff I used comes in a tube, similar to silicone, for application with a gun. Squeezes out like a gel but starts foaming very quickly.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I agree with the sentiments, but sadly there are people around who just can't get the idea of common sense into their heads, hence we are *all* adjudged as idiots.

Reply to
The Wanderer

The Wanderer wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 21:20

OK - then we have the same stuff...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hmm - just goes to show how many of us don't read the instructions !!!! I take it then that it doesn't contain that highly dangerous chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide, or come to that Hydrogen Hydroxide (which I believe is more nearly correct).

Yes PU glue sticks well and is a great adhesive from a gun. I would recommend you wear throw away gloves when using it - if you get it on your hands, then all the dirt gets there too and it will just not come off.

Its stickability extends beyond wood; I haven't tried stone but my lathe controller was stuck together totally successfully with it - Al to Al and Al to wood. Made all the better and quicker by slightly damping the surfaces.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

But have you seen what it does to car radiators - can't be good for you ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon