DIN removal tool for car radio!

Yes I'm trying to remove the radio from a Ford Fiesta (legally). Haynes says "using theDIN removal tool..." - which of course I don't have.

Can someone pls tell me where I can get one of these things - in fact

*two* are needed it seems. Thanks.
Reply to
dave

Halfords. But quite expensive for two bits of bent wire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , dave writes

Halfords have a selection of tools available, I've just looked on their web site and can't see them but they are certainly in my local store.

Having said that the normal way to remove a radio without the proper tool is to put two small rods, screwdrivers, through the holes on one side of the radio until you feel the catches push back, pull the radio forward on that side and then repeat on the other.

Reply to
Bill

Any bits of wire/coathanger/screwdriver bits will do

You just stick them in each hole and pull them apart whilst pulling the radio out.

Reply to
EricP

Hardly - they need to be of at least approx the same diameter. And if the radio is a flush fit in its housing and or a bit tight the correct tools are so much easier and prevent possible damage to the face plate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my local one you don't find them in the tools section but in the car radio one alongside fitting kits and wiring adaptors etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - the usual/easiest thing is to chop off the two U-shaped tips at the shoulders of a wire coat-hanger, and Bob's your uncle.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , dave wrote

Reply to
Alan

Try a car spares shop. That's where I got mine from. Think I still have them kicking around somewhere. I don't need them now.

Reply to
the_constructor

Got mine from the local car radio repair shop. (the second one I tried; furst one said 'trade only, sir, security you see'.)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Since you are green at this and need special tools, why not find out how much it would cost for a lad at the corner garage to do it for you?

I think it would only cost 5 or 10 quid. Much the better deal IMNSHO.

By all means engage in DIY if you can make it pay or think you will enjoy the experience but use sense and consider the economics, whatever you do.

I can't saee the point of buying tools you are unlikely to need again for a few years.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Because once I know how to do it - I can do it again. I like to be able to do things for myself if poss. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
dave

A tool will cost under £2 and the job takes 10 seconds. A couple of modified wire coat hangers may cost nothing. How is this better than £5/10?

Reply to
Alan

More than the cost of the tools - which are only about 3 quid even from Halfords. You get them 'free' when buying a radio that uses them.

Assuming there is work needed like fitting a new radio the last thing I'd do is trust it to a 'lad' at 'the corner garage'. Most garages haven't a clue about how to wire car stuff properly and much of their work is downright dangerous. If you must use professional services use an auto electrician.

Others can. The satisfaction of knowing the job is done correctly. The alternative for high priced tools is to hire them. Not just get someone else to do the job. Otherwise just what is the purpose of this DIY group.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try this for an illustration:

John

Even better:

John

The correct tools have a sort of hook at the end. If the radio is flush mounted and a tight fit in the housing these grip and will pull it out.

If you can get purchase on the radio the coat hanger trick might be ok. I've never tried it as I've still got the tools that came with the first replacement radio I bought.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are several different sorts depending on the car (even though all use the same DIN letterbox). I borrowed a set from my local garage, only I could never get them to work. Ended up removing the black alloy insert thing by vigorous levering including destroying the dead radio (but then I had a new one with the new radio).

Reply to
Newshound

Readily available from a ford agent & cost around =A33 - =A34 pair when I bought mine for an escort a few years back. Easy to use too. Same pair have worked on various Ford radios, eg Focus.

Clipped coat hanger wire might well work though my reservation is that if you get the prongs jammed in or something like that you could have a mighty problem backtracking. Thus in my estimation at =A33, not worth risking any other method.

HTH

Reply to
jim

Pair of steadfast terminal drivers always worked for me... file a notch in the side of the blade and it should latch into the spring clip allowing you to pull the radio forward.

Reply to
Clint Sharp