Dimmer switch power rating question

OBone

You'll have to check the instructions for that switch. Often they require 50% derating for halogen loads. Sounds like a particulary silly lighting scheme though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote

Why is it silly Andrew? The lights will be in 2 rows of 5. Each light will be tilted towards the wall and will illuminate a picture as well as the room. The dimmer switch is a Lutron Rania and will dim the lights over a 15 second period and bring them up in 3 seconds as the room will be used as a cinema room.

Reply to
OBone

Because 500w is an excessive ammount of light in any domestic room.

You'll probably find that replacing the bulbs with 20w or 35w ones will still give plenty of light, and drink far less electricity, as well as being within the limits of your dimmer switch.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Thanks Alan, The dimmer will be preset to only half illuminate, would this not increase bulb life?

Reply to
OBone

Yes, but the cost of the electricity will swamp the bulb cost, and that doesn't actually reduce very much as you dim filament lamps. Pick a lower lamp power which you will normally run at full brightness.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Agreed, I have 5 x 100w bulbs in my 16' x 8' workshop. Great for working in, but far too bright to live in.

Our 12' x 18' lounge has around 250w over 5 lights and that's plenty.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Try lighting a 30 square meter room with anything less.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a 15 m2 room lit with one or two 25W CFLs, + 2 desk lamps for fine work.

Obvoiusly I don't have them recessed into the ceiling relying on reflection from the carpet for general illumination ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@proxy02.news.clara.net:

30sq meters is a helluva sight bigger than any of my rooms

mike

Reply to
mike

30 m2 is a sight bigger than my entire flat!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Unless that's the surface area of every floor, wall and ceiling...

Reply to
Frank Erskine