dimmer switch headscratching

Hi, I'm trying to replace an old ceiling light fitting with a halogen set up and want to be able to use a dimmer switch (the transformer is dimmable). The issue is that there are three light switches controlling the light, and no-one seems to sell 3-way dimmer switches. So, I was thinking about putting a dimmer switch on the mains side immediately before the transformer, efectively in-line with the supply. Can I do this? All help much appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve P

You can get dimmers which can be controlled from multiple places, but they are expensive. But you can simply put it where you say leaving the existing switches - or get a push on push off type which usually has a two way switch and replace one of the two way switches with it. Sod's law, of course, will say it's actually were the intermediate is that will be the ideal position for it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can replace either of the two way switches with a two way dimmer.

You could, or if you want complete control from all locations replace one of the two way switches with a "master" dimmer, and the other switches with slave dimmers:

John Rumm

You can replace either of the two way switches with a two way dimmer.

You could, or if you want complete control from all locations replace one of the two way switches with a "master" dimmer, and the other switches with slave dimmers:

John Rumm

Even if you do fit dimmers, the whole thing wont work so well. A dimer on one switch position is just a pain, and dimmed halogens fail prematurely and are even more energy inefficient than full voltage halogens.

Why not fit bulbs that will give you a light a bit on the soft side, then add other unobtrusive CFL lights elsewhere to bring the level up. Then you can switch dim the room, you get no loss of efficiency, youve got better energy efficiency with the CFLs, and still the look of halos.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Even if you do fit dimmers, the whole thing wont work so well. A dimer on one switch position is just a pain, and dimmed halogens fail prematurely and are even more energy inefficient than full voltage halogens.

Why not fit bulbs that will give you a light a bit on the soft side, then add other unobtrusive CFL lights elsewhere to bring the level up. Then you can switch dim the room, you get no loss of efficiency, youve got better energy efficiency with the CFLs, and still the look of halos.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Many thanks. I take the point about CFLs and the problems with the current set up. I'm limited in my options as I'm trying to light a dining table from above but need enough light to illuminate the room at other times. I'll have a look for a free-standing lamp and a multi-way dimmer and hope I can change out one of the existing switches. Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve P