Dimmer Switch

I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3 wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

Reply to
listsubscribe100

What colours are the wires

Reply to
6

surely if the wiring is done correctly they will all be red (old colours).

Reply to
John

I presume you are not seeing the earth as one of them?

Reply to
John

Red, Blue, Yellow

(seperate earth)

Reply to
listsubscribe100

Is it a two-way circuit, i.e. can you switch the light on / off from two different locations ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yes I can, is that a problem?

Reply to
listsubscribe100

Try this link:

check the other switch to see the colours as well

Reply to
John

Only in that you need a two-way dimmer switch, and it sounds like you have a one-way one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, I think you are right.

Reply to
listsubscribe100

Got caught by that one myself down at the electrical shop on Friday. Have to go back past on the way to work on Monday.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Three core and earth then - you have a two way circuit. For this you need a two way dimmer.

Reply to
John Rumm