dimmer swicthes and CFLs

So I have read on here before that CFLs are not suitable for use with dimmer switches. Does this mean that CFLs wont 'dim', or that they simply won't work or will be dangerous. Unfortunately my rented property has dimmer switches everywhere, and I want to put CFLs in. I am not going to be using the 'dimmer' function except when I turn them on and off. They are weird touch-sensitive switches which you have to touch several times to turn them up, and once again to turn off. Would it be safe to run CFLs? Would the lifetime of them be affected as I would have to turn them up gradually when turning on?

Reply to
jg374

snipped-for-privacy@cam.ac.uk said the following on 27/09/2005 21:10:

Most types of compact fluorescents are not suitable for use with dimmers. This is because they have an electronics module between the mains and the actual lamp.

If you put a CF lamp on a dimmer then most likely it will not work until you put the dimmer up to "full". If you then turn the dimmer down a little, the lamp may get dimmer or may just go off, or it may turn a funny colour and/or make a buzzing noise and be obviously "unhappy" with the supply.

It is not inherently dangerous to connect CF lamps to dimmers, they just don't work very well (or at all) and you will most likey reduce the life of the lamp.

Your best bet may be just to change the dimmer switches for ordinary switches and be done with it.

Reply to
Smudger

They won't dim, but they shouldn't be dangerous.

They may not work at all, due to being under the minimum power required for the dimmer to work.

Could well be, and the lifetime of the dimmers too.

The anoying thing is retrofit CFL's for dimmers are manufacturered, but don't seem to be available in the UK.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You can do this, its not dangerous, the gotchas are:

  1. it may flicker until full bri setting is reached
  2. CFL life may be reduced a little
  3. You might experience dimmer failures

NT

Reply to
meow2222

  1. Ask the landlord if you or he can change the switches over to standard ones, they are cheap enough!
  2. See 3 above - wait until it fails and then see 1 above!

:-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave