Dimmer knobs

I have a Crabtree 9 gang gridswitch which is a mixture of dimmers and switches. Must be pushing 40 years old. ;-) The dimmers were made by Home Automation and came with fittings for both Crabtree and MK grids.

Both the plate and the knobs are showing signs of wear, so since I've just decorated, decided to do something about it. The lacquer on the brass plate was poor so I've stripped that and re-done it which looks fine.

Bought new brass knobs (for dimmers) off Ebay - but they are designed to fit the standard D shaped 6mm spindles and most of the dimmers have 4mm round shafts. One has been replaced, and that has the correct 6mm spindle.)

All the knobs consist of a centre part and a cover which is in the brass finish. If I could separate the two, I might be able to fit the new covers to the old knobs.

Or any other suggestions? I have a few spare new knobs so don't mind experimenting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

New knobs grub screw fixing with round hole or D shaped push on?

Thinking you could find some 1 mm thick plastic to form a sort of roll pin and pop it into the knob with a gap for the grub screw or where the flat section is. Might need some trial an error for push fit with shimming bits of thiner material to get a satisfactory fit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

New knobs are push on. Old ones a bit of a mixture.

Thanks - another way to think about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought this was another post about harry..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

are these knobs with set screws? if so you can e.g. get some brass shim and wind it round the shaft until its a decent fit..

Or fill the new knobs with car body filler and re drill them to 4mm and re-tap the hole through the filler afterwards

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would you believe me if I said that was my first thought when I saw the post?

Reply to
ARW

I have on my desk an offcut of plastic tube with 6mm od and 4mm id - might it be worth experimenting with that? If you're interested e-mail me and I'll drop it in the post.

Reply to
docholliday93

Thanks for the offer - I'll get back to you if needed.

With a day to think about it, I have lots of pots with the correct sized D spindle - and all far too long for what is usually needed. So I'm thinking of cutting a bit off the end, drilling a 4mm hole up the middle and glueing to the small spindle. I'm hoping PVC waste pipe solvent cement will do it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)