dimmable T8 flourescents

Dimmable T8 flourescent tubes. Idea was 2 of the 58W tubes mounted over the kitchen wall units and controlled by a dimmer switch (must be brushed steel finish). So, a couple of these:

be connected to a dimmer switch. First surprise: dimming interface is apparently "1-10Volts DIMM", but I can find no proper information about this interface, lots of conflicting info and switches that might be correct ranging from 7 quid to 70 quid. And warnings that these cannot be driven from 0-10V lighting desks !

What is the simplest way to connect these up so they act like a normal dimmer switch ? The switch must be brushed steel. A remote interface to convert a normal dimmer (0-240V ??) to the required interface would be fine.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well another one here:

like they must supply 10V since a potentiometer is all that is required. Philips do a suitable dimmer for only 10 quid, so I'll probably get it and either butcher or recreate in brushed steel, since they do not specify the pot required in their datasheets.

Also, I aim to use the 2 x 58W ballast with two tubes layed out end to end instead of in parallel. Will I likely have a problem with the maximum length of wires (due to the high frequency) if used like that ?

Now, are RS still "trade" only ...?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson