Dim fluorescent tube

Actual trolls in newsgroups are few and far between. You can find most of them in alt.usenet.kooks if you need examples. You seem to think someone with an opinion different to your own is a troll.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That explains your misconception then.

That looks pretty close to the truth of the matter. However, The reality is that inductively ballasted tubes are a quite few percent more efficient than even the best CFLs (they don't need a mercury amalgam to optimize for the higher running temperatures of CFLs at a slight reduction of efficiency compared to the lower temperature conditions that normally apply to linear tubes).

When you equalise the benefit of HF electronic ballasting in a linear fitting to that of a modern CFL, the improvement in luminous efficacy is even greater.

As things stand, there isn't anything more efficient than an electronically ballasted linear tube for GLS.

Reply to
Johny B Good

True enough in this one particular condition. I'm sure it must be a great comfort to the pioneering souls who are prepared to 'splash the cash'. There are benefits to LED lamps which some might consider to be worth the expense but, like most folk, I'm not convinced it's worth the extra cost at their current price premium.

Fuck All.

Reply to
Johny B Good

It's not a misconception, I've got some here.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The other thing is to compare like for like. LEDs tend to have a pretty poor spectrum - and the better that is the lower the efficiency.

Of course if all you're doing is illuminating a corridor it probably doesn't much matter. But to many it will for, say, lighting a living room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my experience, the spectrum from an LED is vastly BETTER. The LEDs in here make the room look the same as when it's basked in sunlight.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

There's no doubt about the former assessment and, despite his own protestations against the latter charge, the effect of his readyness to argue 'black is white' in the face of seemingly wilful ignorance makes his behaviour indistinguishable from that of the classic usenet troll.

I only bother to respond to his posts now to prevent any of his ill informed assertions going unchallenged (in this case 'that LEDs are ten times more efficient than incandescent lamps').

As far as trying to argue the facts with him, it's like "Trying to Educate Pork", so I avoid wasting too much time on this sort of enterprise. Life's short enough as it is.

Reply to
Johny B Good

In message , Uncle Peter writes

Right, as we are talking specifics here, "ten times more efficient" Could you enlighten us as to how you are measuring this?

Reply to
Bill

10x less electricity, same brightness of bulb.
Reply to
Uncle Peter

At the risk of repeating myself, knowing how much one has to be accurate in these types of discussion. "How are you measuring this?"

Presumably you are measuring power consumed and light output. How?

Reply to
Bill

You're arguing with a troll. Why?

Reply to
Huge

Because they look they same. And that is the only important factor in a domestic bulb.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Because he's not as judgemental and stupid as you are.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Ah ha, so in the interests of accuracy, which is also an important factor, could we agree on "appears to be 10X more efficient"?

Reply to
Bill

Being a technical type of person I like people who state something as fact to be able to back it up, or if it is a personal observation to include "appears" or "seems to me" etc in with the statement.

Reply to
Bill

That doesn't surprise me.

Of course they do, pet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, although you should acknowledge that lighting is designed to APPEAR, that's its only purpose, for us to see things. So the subjective brightness is all that matters (unless you're using it for scientific equipment or something). Consider pulsed LEDs for example.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

What do they look like to you? Too red? Too green?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Are you a Yorkshirewoman?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Yorkshire people don't call each other pet. That's the geordies. We call each other love.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright