Digital TV - DIY articles

Can UHF Log-Periodic aerials be different sizes ?

Surely physics dictates they will all have the same dimensions if designed for the standard UHF TV range of 470 to 860 MHz, and all have the same (theoretical) gain ? Or am I missing something ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Official price on the Sky web site seems to be =A373.40 these days.

airsmoothed

Yup, I think I probably added that bit after you read it the first time. I think what is there now probably clarifies the situation.

I think that was mostly there before although with errors which Bill has posted corrections for. Note that it is in the TV Aerial article rather than the Digital TV one.

I think a structure is beginning to emerge...

I think the Digital TV article wants to be simple and to the point without much technical detail. Basically spelling out the options. There is no need for much if any technical or DIY specific content.

The TV Aerial one, wants to cover stuff in more detail but with a bias towards the DIY installation aspect of it. There are plenty of excellent sites about that we can reference for fuller technical details. Howver there is less about that covers the selection of a suitable aerial and covers the physical process of gluing it to a building.

Reply to
John Rumm

The one the BBC designed for use at transmitters was very much larger than any of the ones sold for domestic use. I do know that the BBC one worked as designed.

Reply to
charles

Anyone have any comments on what is out there for people who buy generic non sky and non freesat boxes?

Reply to
John Rumm

Vision do a V10-030 (quoting 8dBd) and a V10-040 (quoting 9dBd) Martin Pickering sells them, see here

Doctor D

Not at all, that is what it is here for!

Ta - incorporated

Yup, not sure that section even needs to be there - since it already suggests using a CAI aerial. I have taken it out altogether for the moment.

[snip]

Thanks... updated.

Reply to
John Rumm

Whatever good would that be, CAI approved ?.. Some of their members are CAI approved does that mean there're all OK?..

And vicey verser;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

Why would anyone bother with a DAB receiver for fixed listening?. Connect anything up bigger then a 2" speaker and all is revealed in its grittyness;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

Official price on the Sky web site seems to be £73.40 these days.

only a fool would chose mine when yours is half the price
even Sky don't call the 73.40 offer Freesat from anything! (But I bet they don't remind you to cancel the rolling contract after 4 months!)

I don't think we should use the expression "Freesat from Sky" in the Wiki unless we are referring to the Sky product of that name.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , charles scribeth thus

I suspect that was scaled up a bit i.e. the boom and elements were made of thicker metal as they ought be ,which makes it look bigger....

Yes tho the diameter-v-length will affect the frequency etc range a bit..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've hitherto been sitting this one out as I'm rather busy, but you may care to take a look at ...

which outlines all the options for receiving TV here, and includes a paragraph or two about other sat options.

More generally, there may also be something useful in ...

and DIY satellite is covered in ...

particularly the first series of pages linked from there, 'Mounting A Dish Or Rotor'.

(If you happen to want to quote substantial secti>

Reply to
Java Jive

I think we should call DTT, "Freeview from Earth" ...

Reply to
Adrian C

I'd keep the technical content in. But I'd preface that section with text making the balun of optional importance if the user is NOT expecting reception in difficult areas with local sources of impulse interference (like noisy central heating thermostats), which is a situation that is effectively improved by having a balun.

Reply to
Adrian C

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:15:18 +0000, Mark Carver asked:

The Log 40 antenna looks to be longer in length than the DM Log Periodic

so the answer to this question is "Yes".

Reply to
J G Miller

That's not a terribly scientific answer !! Anyway as Charles suggests the forward gain regardless of physical size seems to be between 8 and 9 dB, so physical size has no correlation with gain ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

reesatfromsky.co.uk/

Well, what the actually say under the =A373.40 deal is "Our Pay Once Watch Forever package gives you Freesat from Sky, with over 240 digital channels, for half the price of Freesat from Sky - plus enjoy

4 of Sky TV=92s Entertainment Packs for 4 month" which probably could've been phrased better. Are you saying" Pay once watch forever" should be a separate item?
Reply to
airsmoothed

Here we go, just found this BBC/IBA paper from 1973 :-

and element length is related to element diameter, so yes AIUI they can be different physical sizes, (for durability reasons) but the gain of a UHF Log-P seems to remain constant at about 8dB ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Distribution has also been very well done notably by Bill Wright's articles on his website. Although not in the form of a how-to, any wiki article could only be an addition to an existing excellent work.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, what the actually say under the £73.40 deal is "Our Pay Once Watch Forever package gives you Freesat from Sky, with over 240 digital channels, for half the price of Freesat from Sky - plus enjoy

4 of Sky TV?s Entertainment Packs for 4 month" which probably could've been phrased better. Are you saying" Pay once watch forever" should be a separate item?

No please, no! Perhaps Sky will drop the Freesat branding and major on Pay once... after all if you haven't got a dish or box it's a very good price and it will suck a proportion of those taking it up into a Sky subscription.

What does need explaining to me, is the apparent difference in the number of radio stations on FSFS & POWF. Look:

Graham.