digital timer making a noise

Have a smiths digital electrical timer ET07 which now makes a whirring noise when its switched on.

Its a few years old and i guess smiths wont want to anything without charging a lot.

Does anyone have any idea about what might usefully be done to repair it? Thanks.

Reply to
john royce

Not worth repairing when new digital timers are about £4 - saw some in B&Q yesterday.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I had a timer (Smiths, I think, but I don't remember the model) that did that and repaired it by replacing an electrolytic capacitor.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

sounds like an imminent failure, possibly of the oh crp type. I'd decommission it right away.

NT

Reply to
NT

I had a wired in Smiths timer with an inner and outer row of pins to control my immersion heater.

The timer failed and I replaced it with an idential unit (but made from black rather than white plastic) made by someone else.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Mine was doing the same so I stopped using it for a few years. I too suspec ted the electrolytic capacitor but never got around to replacing it. I've b een using it again for almost a year and the problem has only return recent ly.

It seems fine as long as it has a fairly good battery and, once it's plugge d in, it seems to be fine after the capacitor has fully charged which takes about half a minute.

I will replace the capacitor when time allows.

Reply to
felim.doyle

Posted via Google Groups. I'm sure Jon Fairbairn will be glad to hear from his younger self.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Graham. writes

Reminds me of the plot of The Lake House:

In short, a dimwit communicates with the real world through a magic, time-shifting mailbox.

Reply to
fred