Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area.

It's quite difficult to get anything in between "as good as it gets" and no picture at all on digital. If the signal is marginal then you may get the occasional freeze but not much else, apart from total loss of picture.

Reply to
usenet

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Ah yes Dave. One man's perfeck piccy is another man's....

Especially when you've had the benefit of seeing what the broadcasters

*are* capable of.....
Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Jonathan Peters writes

Well I agree with that sentiment up to a point, but these an awful lot of the country yet to be covered by digital TV especially those out of the way locations not served by the main stations.

And in these locations satellite delivery is the only other viable alternative...

Reply to
tony sayer

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "stuart noble"

Reply to
Niall

It's not that long ago that post production - editing and dubbing - caused pretty severe degradation of the studio stuff - even before the average domestic telly got to work. But since DigiBeta arrived, and the better digital dubbing systems, if things are well done the difference is near undetectable. And there are some very good TV sets around these days too, as well as plenty of dross.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Niall wrote in message ...

Reply to
stuart noble

It is a very good idea to replace the nasty old cheap brown co-ax with decent low loss cable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

FWIW you could stack your loft full of aerials as long as their correctly connected and spaced etc. But the cable I would deffo recommend you upgrade. The new CT100 is far better than the older types of so called Low Loss aerial cable.....

Reply to
tony sayer

What gives you that idea?

There are distance selling regulations for goods bought by mail order, so you'd be able to return a freeview receiver in that case, however just because Argos are a catalogue shop it doesn't mean you can't inspect the goods before you buy (they even have a name for it - "customer view")

I'd hope anyone would, because you're wrong.

Reply to
R W

Oh but you can inspect the goods and you always have been able to. Just open your mouth and ask.

Reply to
R W

Just buy it online or by telephone order, then you're covered by the distance selling regulations that apply to any retailer. You can then return it within 7 days for any reason you like.

Reply to
R W

Depends. I got pretty good reception of all the digital multiplexes with a wideband Unix 100 aerial in the loft from the Oxford transmitter, and I'm 30 odd miles away on the Northants/Beds/Bucks border. But now that same aerial is on the roof pointing at Sandy Heath, only 25 or so miles away, getting an excellent reception of all the multiplexes (and also gives good analogue pictures too).

The trick is a good aerial, and good downlead cable (CT100 or better).

The Triax Unix 100 is a monster aerial though, about 7ft long....

Reply to
R W

I had a number of updates for my grundig freeview box before it died. Hmmm....

Reply to
Andrew

Why not? I simply disconnected the old aerial and connected the new one. You might improve things a bit by using better cable, it depends what the existing cable is.

Reply to
usenet

"IMM" wrote | > If the goods aren't faulty then if you buy over the counter they | > are under no legal obligation to accept any returns though many | > retailers do so. If you buy by mail order you can return goods | > under the Distance Selling Regulations, though the general view | > seems that you can only do so if you not have actually used them. | Argos is half way between. You can't inspect the goods, they come | boxed and wrapped and ordered from a catalogue. Initially they | came under the normal mail order laws, I'm not sure what the | situation is now.

There's nothing to stop you asking for something to be brought out before you buy it in Argos; a lady was giving a CD/radio an exhaustive going-over whilst I was in the queue behind her the other day.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

At least 15 years old I would think. I think I'll tell this neighbour of mine to just suck it and see. Try the new aerial, then the new cable, then shove the whole lot on the roof if it doesn't work.

Reply to
stuart noble

Not too surprising that. Sandy has for some time now been on a high rate

34 odd megabit digital feed from London. Oxford IIRC rebroadcasts the output from Sutton Coldfield which will degrade a bit.....

Good idea!..

Reply to
tony sayer

If you need to. If you get 100% signal on all muxes, why bother. I did replace one length as a precaution, as it wasn't even UHF coax and had a couple of taped splices in, but only with ordinary TV coax from B&Q. There was also a dodgy connector which needed replacing.

Reply to
Niall

Because the HF loss is greater than decent cable, but mostly because the screening of ordinary cable is inadequate to keep pulse interference out, which can lead to breakup.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Check this for good reception:

Been working at my Father's house on his TV distribution. The whole house had been re-wired with co-ax going to every bedroom. Had already installed a new external aerial and distribution box in the loft over a year back, but eventhough the main TV had a beautiful picture, with all analogue and digital channels coming up, the TVs on the distribution end were grainy. After checking every connection, faceplate etc found I had been using the distribution cable for the main tv not the actual aerial. Bloody thing was pulling all channels on just the co-ax running up the wall.

Reply to
StealthUK