Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area.

Page 1 of 8
Hi.
Been thinking about digital TV as I don't want satellite, or any subscriptions over and above the licence fee, bit would welcome some of the digital free-to-air channels.
In my area, the signal isn't too good. However, with a signal booster, all the analogue channels come through perfectly.
The BBC's web page says that my area is marginal for digital broadcasts (with some localities unsuitable owing to terrain) but I was wondering if the booster I use for analogue transmissions would also deal with the digital signal.
My original idea was to buy one of the boxes from Argos and see if it worked; I could then take it back for a refund if it didn't. Unfortunately, these items are excluded from Argos' 15-day money-back guarantee, which leaves me kinda stuck.
Has anyone got any advice about this?
TIA,
Jon

Borrow one from a friend. Getting reception is a bit black magic. Depending on the quality of the amplifier, it could either help or hinder reception. Also, consider replacing your main aerial with a high gain more directional (but wideband) type.
Christian.

Have any of your neighbours got working Freeview boxes? May be worth asking them.
You may need a high gain aerial plus a downlead made of something a bit more exotic than normal co-ax. You may need a wide-band aerial - depending on whether the mutiplexed digital channels are transmitted on physical channels within the same aerial group as the terrestrial channels in your area.
If your area is truly marginal, you may find that you can receive some - but not all - of the digital channels. [With digital, you either get a good picture or *no* picture - as opposed to analog where you might get a noisy picture of the signal is weak].
I live in a non-reception area - yet my next door neighbour has got a working Freeview system. I haven't cross-examined him enough to know whether he gets *all* the channels!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

According to most of the "can I get FreeView" sites we can't get it, however even with our original loft aerial we could see something like half the channels. We've now put a higher gain (51 element) aerial in the loft and we can get all the available channels. We have a distribution amplifier in the loft but this is more to feed six co-ax downleads than to improve the signal. The only way you'll get a *better* signal is with a better aerial, you can get a *stronger* signal by using an amplifier.
We're in a village in South Suffolk by the way, digital transmissions for us come from Sudbury.
By the way some set top boxes are better than others in weak signal areas, the ones with 'set pal' (I think it is) are supposed to be good. The Daewoo we have (on offer at Tesco before Christmas) is one of the better ones.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Aha. I would desarly pve to know where you are then. I am in west suffolk with a similar qanary, but at teh highest point there. Allegedly I can't get digital, but the analogue is superb, apart from C5 at lower power, which is merely adequate.

Thanks for that tip. I am heading to Digi freeview.
Would welcome any pointers as to how far from sudbury you are, and how high up.

Odd. Is your transmitter broadcasting digital?
--
Niall

Niall wrote:

Yes. Sudbury. I can only conjecture that since most of the local popullation is down in teh valley, they have marked us as unable to get a decent signal. We, however, sit on top of teh hill...

I think you've got a pretty good chance of reasonable FreeView reception then as our analogue Channel 5 was also only OK'ish.

We are reasonably high (by local standards). The post code is IP12 4NR. Sudbury transmitter is 22 miles away according to http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe ?.
The best site for information (and pointers to information) that I have found is:- http://freeview.kswindells.co.uk/faq_which_transmitter.html

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Many thanks. I am in fact only about 15 miles away. Sounds like it should work then. Assuming omnidirectional coverage from Sudbury.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

For the *real* anoraks among you;-)
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/sudbury.asp
--
Tony Sayer

I was under the impression that Argos had to follow standard legal limits for a catalogue shop, which means a 28-day return policy. Most try to "sell" this as a feature of their shop, but the fact is that they legally have to.
The idea is that you don't know what the goods are like until you get them home, as the shop doesn't have the facilities to show them to you.
I'd double-check this before putting any money down though!!
Fraser.
Fraser wrote:

If the goods aren't faulty then if you buy over the counter they are under no legal obligation to accept any returns though many retailers do so. If you buy by mail order you can return goods under the Distance Selling Regulations, though the general view seems that you can only do so if you not have actually used them.
I will take this chance to put a plug in for the Pace Freeview box with hard disk currently in the Argos sale for 198 - if you are in the habit of recording programmes to watch later it is brilliant.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

Argos is half way between. You can't inspect the goods, they come boxed and wrapped and ordered from a catalogue. Initially they came under the normal mail order laws, I'm not sure what the situation is now.

IMM wrote:

Oh but you can inspect the goods and you always have been able to. Just open your mouth and ask.
"IMM" wrote | > If the goods aren't faulty then if you buy over the counter they | > are under no legal obligation to accept any returns though many | > retailers do so. If you buy by mail order you can return goods | > under the Distance Selling Regulations, though the general view | > seems that you can only do so if you not have actually used them. | Argos is half way between. You can't inspect the goods, they come | boxed and wrapped and ordered from a catalogue. Initially they | came under the normal mail order laws, I'm not sure what the | situation is now.
There's nothing to stop you asking for something to be brought out before you buy it in Argos; a lady was giving a CD/radio an exhaustive going-over whilst I was in the queue behind her the other day.
Owain

They don't have too.

before
going-over
How would that work for wrapping? Surely the next customer (if it's rejected) won't be happy about getting a box that's clearly been opened?
I always assumed that was _why_ they had to follow distance-selling rules. Non-catalogue shops have the article on display, or at least will have a store model. Argos don't have a lot of floor space, which only really gets used for promotions.
F.

Argos don't have to show you the goods.

Fraser wrote:

What gives you that idea?
There are distance selling regulations for goods bought by mail order, so you'd be able to return a freeview receiver in that case, however just because Argos are a catalogue shop it doesn't mean you can't inspect the goods before you buy (they even have a name for it - "customer view")

I'd hope anyone would, because you're wrong.