digital radios

They are to all intents and purposes.

That is far more likely to be inaccurate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not if it's proerly set up. It should be within 100ms.

Reply to
Huge

I was afraid of that. But it's not all bad news - I can just eliminate DAB from consideration for good.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not saying this is a practical suggestion but I can see no reason why the programme source shouldn't be a defined time (say two seconds, for the sake of argument) ahead of real time. Then the FM transmitters and digital receivers could delay output until the correct time.

The same solution (if it is a solution) would apply.

Nice. I can see several reasons why that would be impractical here, especially in the bathroom and the garden.

Most people don't have the reception problem you have or the ability to fix it the way you have, and DAB is a simple alternative to FM. We have nine FM receivers in regular use so we're unlikely to move away until they switch it off (which is where we came in, I think).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Have it in the bathrooms. Ceiling mounted speakers - and controls don't have mains on them anyway. Don't want a radio in the garden - not fair on neighbours.

If you have them all on at the same time on the same channel a whole house system would make even more sense. Then you would have no worries about what the source was. One of mine for radio is actually Freeview. The tuners are so cheap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , David Hansen scribeth thus

Just to clarify that...

The FM and DAB won't be in sync..

All FM sets will be..

And

All DAB sets will be too

..but you can't mix the Two formats..

Reply to
tony sayer

I'll check them 'agin the GPS clock we have here..

When I get a minute;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

yes. It is pretty much crack on, because normally it turns when the last pip goes. except sometimes there is another pip afterwards..

Not sure what a standard NTP service gives, but IIRC they even allow for latency..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because the decoder on your radio has to buffer, error correct and decompress. THAT isn't something under transmission control.

cant. If you have two dab radios side ny side all with different delays..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..that use the same chipsets..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then you would have to legislate for the design of the DAB radios.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Says who?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

There was discussion about putting the whole of the BBC into a sort of time bubble running a few second ahead of real time. They decided not to due to the complexities it would have introduced. (Read that on a BBC site a few hours ago, but cannot remember exactly where.)

Reply to
Rod

run an induction loop round the perimeter of the garden, and you can listen using an induction loop receiver.

Build the receiver into ear defenders and you can listen while mowing the lawn!

Use additional inputs on the amplifier to bring in doorbell and phone bell sounds - or even the oven timer.

A chiming clock played throughout the house at low level can be a pleasing addition.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Live phone-ins etc use a 'profanity delay' anyway, and the Iranian (?) Embassy siege was broadcast not-quite-live.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The speakers are the least of the problems. Our bathroom FM radio has an on/off switch, a "sleep" timer, a volume control, and an illuminatable clock, all of which we make liberal use of. I think I'll stick with the radio.

We don't have neighbours that close.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But it can insert a variable delay if it knows what time the signal is supposed to be heard, and this is information that could be inserted in the signal. That doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

The delay is under the receiver's control. Receivers boast that they can delay output by minutes or hours so a couple of seconds can't be that hard.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

On the contrary, if the design of DAB radios is to appeal to me, it has to offer some advantage over FM. Currently I don't see any advantage (and I don't care too much either).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That's what I meant.

I'd like to read it if your memory returns.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It is for those still using valve receivers (for FM, not DAB, obviously...)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Well, Firefox's memory works! :-)