digital radios

I think "most" is overstating it. Certainly most Americans dont know the difference. I understand at one time the word "England" was synonymous with "Britain"

I've often heard Britain and UK confused. Its a bit complex for foreigners. Then there's scotch-man.......

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Well, is a camera and a monitor considered television these days? Since computers arrived, everything with a display isn't referred to as a TV anymore. And CCTV is a pretty old expression. Perhaps video surveillance is a better one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct. A decent NTP client (*) should check for the round-trip delay to the server and compensate for it.

(* Which doubtless excludes Microsoft ones.)

Reply to
Huge

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Nasty non user friendly word that surveillance....

Reply to
tony sayer

WYSIWYG though, innit?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

In early delay devices (at least as far as radio and in audio effects for live performances) the analogue signal was stored for a short period.

the video signal (football) from a satellite with the audio from an FM/AM local radio station is one such homebrew application I've seen. - the satellite commentary apparently being very irritating crap, the local radio one just being mildly irritating.

Without such a device the radio commentary arrives a couple of seconds before the action is seen on the screen.

Personally I'd sooner eat razor blades than watch or listen to football :)

Reply to
Mike

they appeared audio would have been delayed by using a tape recorder with separate record and replay heads and varying the speed to get the exact delay. Quite long delays could be done like this by using a cartridge arrangement to store the tape between the heads.

Strangely in the early days of satellite links - like Telstar - the audio often lagged the pics due to being sent by landline.

You obviously don't dislike it as much as me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That link identifies 1969 - unfortunately I am writing about a few years earlier!

I suppose any sort of reverb device performs some sort of delay.

Totally agree about football!

Reply to
Rod

I think you're both massive fans compared to me. The last football match I watched beginning to end was the 1966 World Cup Final. I think one game in a lifetime is quite enough, don't you? And until someone decided to have our office party at Hillsborough last year, I'd never actually set foot in a football club. I was quite surprised my shoes didn't burst into flames.

Reply to
Huge

True enough but that is still slow. The propagation delay of radio waves is why GSM systems have a maximum base to mobile range of about 35km. Any further and the signals start to arrive outside their allocated time slot.

And if you are serious about accurate time you need to know how far you are from say MSF or DCF.

And is the basis for the GPS system, the receiver works out where it is by measuring the different times of arrival from the satellites.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But how do you know by how much to delay the signal to the FM transmitter? Is any given FM receiver audible with a DAB or a DTTV or DSAT receiver? How about another FM receiver next door?

You've previously mandated that all (digital) receivers should delay by an amount such that they reproduce the sound at the same instant. How do you do that? I don't mean "just pass the law" but how do you actually implement such a requirement?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

BBC Radio Cumbria is still a good local radio station and it frequently has stories and features outside of Carlisle. It covers the county fairly well.

It does "join forces" with the Tyne and Teeside stations over night with the automatated playout sustaining service.

I don't hear phones-ins on Radio Cumbria. I'm not going to say they don't exist as I don't listen in the evenings... They do use the phone as a contribution source during the day but not in the "Lets talk about this, what do you think?" way and putting callers direct to air.

I don't understand that at all. All the (BBC) local stations I've listened to have given local traffic news. Some only do travel news during the wage slave migration periods, saying location X is slow when location X is

*always* slow at that time. Which is a bit pointless and what about people travelling at other times of day?

Sure you're not listening to Radio 2? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I saw it though about a dozen times. Helping make foreign commentary versions to be sent to those countries who couldn't do this live. In a draughty part finished part of Television Centre later known as The Spur. Overnight.

Was for me - although I later got sent to work on some for TV. Even being paid to watch didn't improve things. Worse than Little and Large. But that's an exaggeration. Nothing could ever be.

Only worse 'sport' to forced to attend is boxing. The crowds there make football hooligans look like saints. And that's just the females.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

days in the 70s. That's not early in TV or radio terms.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Likewise, I can't stand football.

During the world cup in Italy (1990?), I worked for the company which supplied the infrastructure for collecting the scores in realtime from the matches and relaying them to the press agencies. This was setup some time before the matches started, with loads of us living in one of the Holiday Inns in Rome for weeks.

During the weeks of the matches, just two of us stayed out there in case anything went wrong (which it didn't). Neither of us could stand football, and the rest of the team which were really in to football all stayed at home in the UK, and were very envious.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You stop broadcasting the pips. The radio (all types) will henceforth pick up the 'Rugby' (whatever it is now) time signal and produce pips themselves at the right time. Or use a time server for web radios.

For aesthetic and historical reasons, maybe store a recording of the pips and/or Big Ben that can be played at the right time.

Reply to
Rod

Have you noticed they don't have presentation clocks anymore on TV.

Anthorn, just down the road and excellent signal now. B-)

But then they will trample all over the programmes! Oh that happens already 'cause no one can backtime properly any more.

Actually there is no need for the MSF bit as I'm fairly sure that DAB, DTTV and DSAT have TOD in the datatream. FM has TOD in the RDS data stream.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or on Sunday morning.

Another problem is that I get the rounds of Oxford, Three Counties, London, Berkshire and some others as traffic announcements. So I get one bulletin followed by another with scarcely any gaps for the programs. And most of them are such a gabble it is almost impossible to understand them - especially if you are not quite as familiar with the areas as they assume. End up switching off TA most of the time.

Reply to
Rod

Probably wise move to send you. 'Cause if something had gone wrong you wouldn't have been at bothered at missing a match or three fixing the fault. Otherwise MFOR.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There aren't many jobs I refuse to do, in fact I think boxing is the only one. It's not the crowds so much as getting splattered by blood, sweat and spit from the boxers when minding the commentary position or holding the gun mic for the corner chat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice