Digital Pest Repellent

Well, the mice have come to visit again, every year they come to stay in the attic, every year I kill them. I still cannot figure out how they are getting up there. I was in Asda today and saw a Digital Pest Repellent from JML

Here is the link, you'll have to figure out yourself how to piece it all together or use Google.

they any good or are they on a par with a magnetic water softener?

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Mine used to come in up the cavity wall gap, though a hole left in the wall by a poorly fitted waste water pipe for a washing machine.

Reply to
Matt A

In message , Matt A writes

ISTR telling this tale before but... a new audience is always tempting:-)

We had the builders *make over* a Victorian farmhouse (pair of gravel cottages) which included reconstructing an existing barn linking the house to a timber, two storey barn.

On the architects strict instructions that no weight was to be imposed on the barn foundations, the builders simply stopped the cavity walls where they touched the barn. The last section was used as a garage so thermal considerations were not an issue, nevertheless, the cavity was filled with rockwool.

Now it so happens that we have a productive Walnut growing in the garden. One day I opened the cardboard box stored in the garage expecting to find it half full of nuts. Apart from a small hole near the bottom there were no nuts and no evidence where they had gone.

Traps were set and numerous Wood mice despatched (sandy chaps with white chests). One day I opened the soffit to install a cable and got showered in Walnuts.

During some further building work, the mystery was solved. The column supporting the up and over garage door was open down to the ground. Mice had tunnelled through the insulation and carried the nuts 20m along the soffit to reach the main house. Not content they continued a further 10m to reach the point of maximum annoyance: directly above our bed!

The noise created by a well fed Wood mouse opening a Walnut at 12pm is indescribable.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Great story Tim - but the pedants are at play too; surely 12pm is 12 midday - post meridiem = "after mid day", Now I don't want to question your bedtime activities during the day, but I do suspect you really wanted to say 12 am - "ante meridiem" = before midday.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

In message , robgraham writes

Quite right.

I paused as I typed it but a.m. was progressing and I had work to do.

The thing I didn't mention was that when my wife banged her slipper on the ceiling, there was only a momentary pause in the noise. After further banging it shifted to the other side of the room.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , robgraham writes

Err no

!2 o'clock is either noon or midnight

ante meridian means before 12, post meridian means after.

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

It was actually somewhere between 11.55pm and 12.05am :-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Absolutely. A little aside, which is probably of no interest to many, in the services where the 24hr clock is always used (the most sensible solution anyway) there is no such animal as 12 midnight, there is 2359 then 0001, to avoid any other confusion.

Reply to
Old Git

In message , Tim Lamb writes

NO getting away from it - that is midnight +/- 5 mins ...

Reply to
geoff

Wrong Geoff - and back to pedanticism; it's 'meridiem' which means 'midday'. So it's 'before midday' and 'after midday'.

Meridian is the great circle of the Earth.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

ITYYF that either is acceptable

looking in my shorter oxford dictionary, which, AFAIAC is as definitive as I need to get ...

the first definition (in a whole 1/2 page column)

"midday, noon

another definition

"of or pertaining to midday or noon"

so - if you want top be a pedant, go and learn the 'kin language

That is the 4th definition - way down the list

Reply to
geoff