Digital Levels - Bosch/Stabila

Bosch and Stabila both make Digital Levels...

Stabila both make Digital Levels...

make Digital Levels...

How do these compare (appart from price!) with a good quality spirit level. Just how accurate can you be with a normal bubble type level. 0.5mm/M ?

What do the group think of these Digital Levels in general?

Roy

Reply to
RzB

I took a look at both of these last time I was in Germany although didn't buy one then. Probably will next trip.

Of the two, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the Stabila. It seems a lot more substantial than the Bosch, and the spec appears better, AFAICS.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There's also a discussion going on on these in the Felder Owner's Group today.

You might be interested in a Wyler Niveltronic. That baby does

0.01mm/m for accuracy.

Andy Hall

-----

Andy,

Many thanks - I'll take a close look at the Wyler..

Roy

Reply to
RzB

If you posses the visual acuity to accurately read a normal spirit level and it is of reasonable quality it will always in my experience be as accurate if not more so than a digital one.

For instance vehicle camber/caster gauges, where "0.1 deg resolution" digital gauges are priced around the £2-300 mark and marketed as a premium product are in practice actually less accurate, even in the hands of a competent user, than the spirit level type used half a century ago and costing about £100.

Reply to
Matt

I wonder if anyone has actually done any comparative tests... ?

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Do sit down first. :-)

There was another post in FOG, where somebody had spoken to Stabila and asked them to compare their bubble and digital levels. Apparently Stabila said that the bubble ones are more accurate for determining a level. Of course the digital ones will do an angle. OTOH, one can do that with a level and a protractor....

Reply to
Andy Hall

No need to.

The 0.1 degree "resolution" over 1 metre offered by most digital levels is about 1.7mm, "accuracy" is conceivably twice that.

You can easily pick up a 1 metre spirit level accurate to 0.5mm/metre for 25 quid. 0.5mm/m is approx 0.028 degree - at least 3.5 times and possibly 7 times better.

Reply to
Matt

How robust/long lived are they, I wonder?

Yes.

I suspect they're a bit of a gimmick.

Reply to
Chris Bacon