Digital electricity meter - red light on constantly!

I have a modern digital (LCD) electricity meter (installed around 2 yrs ago, replacing the old spinning disc). It has a red light that flashes so many times per kWh (as stated on the front) but sometimes when I open the cupboard it shines red for a while (never time it and never see it turn on anyway). No significant current being drawn throughout the house, meter never been fiddled with (before anyone asks!). Once phoned the regional distribution company and they couldn't really explain it. Any ideas? Anything to worry about with regards to inaccuracy?

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

That's why.

It flickers every nth fraction of a kWh. If the current drawn is very low, it'll stay on until that fraction of a kWh has passed. (I think.)

If you doubt it, just put an electric fire or immersion heater on and the light should go off and then start flashing quite rapidly.

It'll say on the meter how many flickers to the kWh so with a 1 bar (1kW) electric fire and a stopwatch you can count/time it (at least within the tolerance of the mains voltage and the fire's rating).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it's the same unit as mine, then when the current draw is really zero, the led stays on.

As I have a cordless phone base station plugged in, my current draw is only ever zero when I opne the main switch. Try it an see if the red led stays on.

Reply to
dom

If the fridge/freezer and chest freezer weren't doing anything, that leaves three alarm clock radios, a VCR showing the time and the PIR on our outside light (if that uses anything during the daytime). I'll keep an eye on it.

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

Why can't you just unplug that too?

Reply to
Graham

It is designed to do that. The "on" time, at least on mine, isn't constant, but also slows down as usage decreases. If you aren't using much leccy, then both the "on" time and "off" time increase up until infinity (i.e. using no power at all). When you see it do this again, try turning on a substantial appliance, like your immersion and it will soon be blinking away like crazy.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

As a purely academic question, does the meter draw the power for the light from the supply side, or does it charge you for the power it uses?

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

Who pays for the leccy on the red light?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Eventually, you do, whether it is metered or not.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

More to the point, does it consume more or less energy than the spinning disc ?

Reply to
jethro_uk

Thanks to all who have replied. Now I know that little red light constantly on = a good thing. I'd imagine that the 2W this meter says it consumes is a lot less than the old spinning disc one it replaced (could hear that one grinding away from across the room with the cupboard door closed).

Reply to
The 1st Philosophical Handyman

If the red light and green light above it both are constantly on, it means there is earthing leakage or some other problem in some circuit. Kindly consult an elecctrician.

Reply to
C M

I enjoyed this response on a number of levels... In true HoH tradition, it is:

15 years late

Answers a question not asked (who mentioned a greed LED?)

Fails to grasp the whole concept of a DIY group

Incorrectly assumes that electricity meters have earth leakage detection and is basically wrong in every respect.

Reply to
John Rumm

What else did you expect, from the brain dead members of HoH?

They are not even capable of sussing out that it is a commercial site, relying on their posts to fund itself from advertising.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Your comment shows that you have no grasp of the nuances of the language.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright