Digital Camera power supply

I have bought a digital camera in US and the salesman assured me that the power supply will work in UK. Before I plug it in, I will appreciate a reconfirmation please.

The power supply unit states:

Input : 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.12A Output : 5.3V---1A The line between 5.3 and 1A has a solid top line and three broken lines under it.

BTW what Watt does this unit use please?

Reply to
drkcp

If it's just a matter of swapping the cable over (figure of 8 connection) it is just fine. I bought a cannon ixus from the USA and it all works great

Reply to
AK

It uses between 100 to 240 volts AC (auto sensing) and will work with both 50 and 60 hertz supply frequences (UK / US / others)

The solid top and broken bottom lines indicate a (unregulated?) DC supply at 5.3 volts and at a max current of 1 amp.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, the US is 110v 60Hz and we're 230v 50Hz, so it's ok.

Its output will be roughly 5.3 watts, and the input no more than 27 watts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How did you work out the 27W please?

Reply to
drkcp

0.12*240V. Worse case interpretation of the label for input power. It's likely that it'll be 0.12A at 100V (12W) and probably 6-8W at 240V.

The output power should stay the same.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com writes

Read what you've written and answer your own question

What what, what what ?-

Reply to
geoff

Yup. I sourced my new Camera in the US and saved 1500 in the process (including Shipping & VAT). The charger works just fine in the UK and in other parts of Europe. Easiest thing is to replace the lead - about four quid at Maplin. I've actually got three leads in my camera case for it (one US, one French and one UK).

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Thought about it but the lead has a "capicator" type of unit in the middle and was not sure what this was for. The adaptors in Maplin were just straight wires.

Reply to
wiscom

Probably a filter to cut down radiated interference. Would work without it, but not conform to regs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Inductor. It's there to absorb noise, and may be needed for the camera to meet emissions regulations when powered from it. Safety-wise no effect.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Mine certainly doesn't. The original lead was just a straight wire and the Maplin ones work just fine. If you've got a spare plug then a bare wire figure-of-eight plug and lead is under 2.

I looked at a "UK" Canon charger and it was completely identical.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Only 4 whats? You're not very bright, are you?

Reply to
Scott M