Digital camera - fixable?

My sons's digital camera has packed up. The lens stays sticking out, lens cover open, regardless of anything I try. Tried new batteries, gentle persuasion - even took the whole camera assembly out of the case. No obvious signs of anything wrong. The camera takes about

150mA when I press the ON button - but nothing happens - no whirring sounds, nothing. Is this a "new camera" situation? thanks.
Reply to
dave

Has it got wet recently?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And what make and model?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

if you can diagnose and repair digital cameras, no. Its not something anyone could do remotely.

NT

Reply to
NT

Canon IXUS?

Reply to
Adrian C

Spray it with WD40.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

or sand?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 23:02:24 GMT, "The Medway Handyman" had this to say:

It would be better to spray it with compressed air, even though cans of such are quite expensive (no doubt because it has to be dry).

This would be much safer than spraying it with all sorts of gunge like the constituents of WD-40.

I regard WD-40 as an emergency stuff to try to release such things as the padlock on the shed - usually when I've left the stuff in the bladdy place :-) In reality water is probably just as effective.

Certainly for long-term treatment of precision things such as cameras the dreaded stuff must be avoided - it's a bit like using car body filler for house repairs - true botch.

PLEASE don't consider using WD-40 anywhere near a camera.

An angle grinder may help though... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In article , Frank Erskine writes

Fish oil, allegedly.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You could try turning it on with fresh batteries and waiting until it turns itself off (maybe 3 minutes?) Make sure the batteries are around the right way. Check that the positive end of the battery is actually positive.

Google for Sony* stuck lens

  • = your brand
Reply to
Matty F

WD40 is the new angle grinder...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Here's a few ideas:

seems you have to know where to hit it, skilled engineering!

Reply to
chudford

I've repaired a couple of digital cameras with stuck lenses. In both cases it was due to tiny grains of grit stuck in the gears that propel the lens in and out. If you're prepared to write the camera off (and given the cost of professional repairs, you usually have to anyway), you might as well strip it down and have a look at the motors & gears that work the lens.

Of course it might not be due to this but you've nothing to lose really.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

See what your model is fetching on EBay and decide whether it's worth frigging about. Usually not

Reply to
Stuart Noble

yes - thanks all, but lad has decided to do it the ebay way. We tried most of the suggestion - except WD40 that is.

Reply to
dave

WD-40 isn't even good for that, it's a water dispersal agent (hence the WD) *not* a penetrating oil or freeing fluid.

It's good at water dispersal and that's why it often helps starting cars with damp ignition - but clean up afterwards as the dirt that sticks to the resulting goo will make things worse in the long run.

Reply to
tinnews

Bet that would have worked...

Reply to