DigiKey.

Bought some replacement components for a MegaSquirt from the DigiKey UK site. Had all the part numbers, so was being lazy.

The actual part prices looked competitive, but the postage charges high. When the parcel arrived, I had to pay VAT as a surcharge.

Checking their site again, it does say VAT will have to be paid at this point - but hardly features that small print. The bit about free postage over 50 quid being at the top in large print.

WTF is the point in having a UK website when they pull this sort of trick?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't really call it a trick. It's obvious the parts are coming from outside the UK, so normal customs charges apply. And it *is* just the VAT

- there isn't the kind of £8-£10 carrier's handling charge for 'processing' that you often get with ParcelForce, etc. - they obviously cover all that.

And the free carriage over £50 seems fair - given that it's coming from somewhere in Minnesota. Order in the afternoon, delivered two days later in the morning - pretty good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought Digikey 'UK' were in some UK scheme that colllected the VAT at the time of purchase and handed it over to HMG?

What was unique about the bits, couldn't you source them from a supplier based in the UK / EU?

Reply to
The Other Mike

That IMHO would be the only point in having a UK site. And I don't remember having to pay VAT on delivery last time I used them, which was some time ago.

The parts list I was working from only gave DigiKey parts numbers - and I was too lazy to work things out from the circuit diagram or do cross referencing. So was willing to pay the high carriage charges for the convenience. But given VAT added 50% to that already high carriage charge (if you want to look at it that way) I'd have done the extra work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You would have paid VAT at Farnell or RS, etc...

Having said that, Microchip manage to ship direct from Malaysia and handle all the VAT collection.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes - but at the point of sale, not on your doorstep. So you know how much you're paying on their site. Oh - UPS don't take credit or debit cards. Only cash (no change) or a cheque. How very new world. ;-)

As do the myriad of electronic component sellers from China on Ebay - and 'free' post too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd pay extra for that service, compared to trying to import via Parcel Farce. Fed Ex are the best IMHO, they just deliver and invoice you for the VAT by post.

I suspect they rely more on creative declarations on the packaging.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's very good. I live less than 2 hours' drive from them, and it still takes a day for them to get stuff to me :-)

JOOI, do they guarantee that 2-day delivery? I've normally found that sending stuff to the UK from here takes anything between 2 days and 2 weeks. cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

No, but it's always the same cycle they seem to use. They despatch same day. The stuff goes to their local UPS depot, then to St Paul (AFAIR), then to the WorldPort in Louisville, Kentucky, then to East Midlands airport, then to my local depot, then here!

Reply to
Bob Eager