Digging into Concrete and Removing Brick Wall

Hi

According to my structural engineerI need to dig down into a concrete floor and into the ground to make some concrete footings for a RHS. This RHS will support an RSJ. what's the easiest and least labour intensive tool for doing this?

I also need to remove a load bearing wall and want to cut the old brickwork away, what's the best tool for this? I would like to keep dust to a minimum if possible.

Also any suggestions on where I can obtain these tools from?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Probably a builder, but thats also the most expensive. Tool options for small bit removing would be large angel grinder, SDS and chisel bit, or hammer and chisel, or for whole slab removal, sledge hammer and pry bar, or very preferably a big breaker. Sledging concrete's hard labour. You could also go for explosive, but I really really dont recommend it.

If youre unlucky and its steel reinforced, you'll have to hammer the crap out of it, and cut the steels bars with grinder or bolt croppers. Note diamond discs are not much good at cutting steel.

Again youve got angle grinder, hammer, breaker to choose from. But props are surely the best tool on that job.

Angle grinders only 35 for a bigun, screwfix, toolstation.com, local sheds. Big breakers are pricey, so hire places.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

JCB, or similar. If the concrete is thick use a drill on the end of the JCB arm. However it sounds like the JCB is going to have accress issues, so you are down to old faithfill angle grinder, breaker, and hard work.

I would wander down to your local friendly hire shop, describe the problem, and ask if they have any tools that can help. My local guy will only rent out tools that will do a good job, he does not like people to think his tools are crap, or to use the wrong tool for the job.

A big pile of saftey equipment would be good.

You are goon get loads of dust, even a small ammount is loads. Get a decent hover from the hire ship too, the dust will block up the dyson.

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thanks all I got a kango breaker from the local hire shop, its pretty good fun too! Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard