digging a small trench foundation by hand?

Into sun baked clay? I think not.

I've got two more holes to go today. Not worth geting a better tool.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
[snip]

Is his name Igor?

Do you really need foundations below your bridge?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Garlic's on special offer at Waitrose right now...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , GB writes

used one to dig a soakaway (appx 1m square 2m deep) into ground that was probably 65% clay soil and 35% flints. I did it in stages, over the weekend.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Mattock. Otherwise known as a digging axe or a chinese spade. Works wonders for trenches.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

back gasping.

The little 850kg Yanmar "scoppy" machines can do a fair amount of work. IIRC they were about £60 for the day plus delivery (at £15) round here. Good if you have restricted access - they fold up small enough to drive through a door.

Reply to
John Rumm

I find a grubbing mattock a much better digging tool than a pick-axe...

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Huge

Useless. won't go deep and narrow. Except in a trench. These are HOLES.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Got one. We are not digging a trench though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I recommend these - I've had bloody hundreds of posts to set and one of these has been essential.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On 23/05/2011 16:01, RobertL wrote: ...

Birthplace: Frankenstein on my partner's passport often gets a comment from UK Border Control.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And a trenching shovel to remove the soil.

Reply to
Mark

The weight of the blades coupled with a hefty downwards plunge make it a = formidable digging tool. I've used mine to take out a lot of trees as = it'll even cut through smaller tree roots.

Seriously, don't diss it until you've tried one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

8<

Easy.

I have a cheaper wooden handled version suitable for posts about 6" square. It will break house bricks and stuff like that if you let it. It does blunt the edge though so I use a 1m SDS drill to break them if I notice them.

I have seen telephone poles put in using similar tools.

Reply to
dennis

I have a much better post-hole borer than that, but I've never seen another one like it. It's basically an open-ended cylinder of metal about six inches diameter, and four inches high. There are then teeth projecting down and in from the bottom of the cylinder, and flaps at the bottom of the cylinder are bent slightly out (so that the hole is wider than the cylinder.

The whole lot is fastened to a stem with a large cross bar, and you can dig post-holes /amazingly/ fast with it. (Doesn't cope so well with very sandy soil).

I'd use a pick-axe to get through the first few inches of sun-baked clay though.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

He's nearly finished apparently, in less than a day. He's 70 years old! They are a tough lot out there.

I'm not a troll, I really am married to a woman from transilvania and her parents are here visiting us. FIL doesn't like sitting about - he likes to get out in the air and build something.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

You mean night?