Dificualty reading Bathroom Scales display.

As a 70 year old wearing glasses I struggle to read the slightly magnified display and stand in a position to get a true weight.

I have been looking to see if any scales were available that I could use that the display could be read on a computer? or with an extended display panel.

Any results I get from searching seem to be more suitable in a Dr's than home use.

Has anyone else looked for anything suitable. Thanks, Mick.

Reply to
Mick IOW

Are there any talking scales available these days? Would they suffice?

Reply to
Bod

Just checked Ebay and they are available. Here's one of them:

Bod

Plenty bluetoothable, but then you'd need a computer in range or smartphone.

Reply to
RJH

We have a Soehnle bathroom scale, about 15+ years old. Digital, battery, kg or st.lbs. Stand on it; wait for reading to zero; get off; weight then displays for quite long enough to bend down and read it, or even pick the scales up to read it. I presume that there would normally be a minus sign in front of the weight, but they don't have such on the display, so it simply shows the weight. Discovered it would work that way by accident. Don't know if more recent Soehnle scales behave the same way though.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There are plenty of scales around with a wireless remote display

This one is on Amazon at 28.95

I bought an Oregon Scientific model a few years back, with the display on a stand like a travelling alarm clock. This works fine; but it seems is no longer.

Just google "scale wireless remote" for more choices.

michael adams

michael adams

I just bought some cheap boots scales and they do this as well.

slap the scales to turn em on, self zero, stand on, then get off and the display holds for a few seconds

The Natural Philosopher

Lidl had a bluetooth set of scales on offer a few weeks back. You need a smartphone to read them remotely. I bought them to weigh suitcases as the case obscures the dial if it is flat. About £30 IIRC.

Reply to
Capitol

You spent £30 on something to weigh suitcases??

Do you have a special room to do that in? And a man to do it for you?

Wow. Why not just plonk the cases on the scales, count to 5 to allow the reading to settle, then take them off so you can read the display?

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Mick IOW escribió:

Binoculars are cheap.

Also sucking in your stomach will prevent it obscuring the display.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Random! Whilst true, I can't see how they could possibly help the OP solve his problem.

That's very unkind. I can well see your need to "" (at least the "d & r" part. Shame on you!

I expect Mick will find a suitable set of digital scales in Aldididdle if he cares to look for ones with suitably large displays (which is most of them, afaicr) and verifies whether or not they beep and hold the reading for long enough to allow him to step off and back in order to bend down and take a closer look at the reading.

This latter feature (beep and hold the reading) seems to be common to most models of digital bathroom scales (and for quite a few years now ime), so an 18 to 28 quid investment may well provide an effective solution to Mick's problem.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Last time I tried that, I spent the next 3 weeks with a pulled Muscle. It is money well spent.

Reply to
Capitol

Another solution is to weigh self then self plus bag. Does require the ability to do simple subtraction though :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Mick IOW scribbled

Point a camera phone at it - the scales, not your nob.

Reply to
Jonno

You still have to lift the cases on and off!

Reply to
Huge

Nobody has mentioned that you can get scales with extra large displays that are much easier to see. I got mine from Argos.

Reply to
Dave W

Dave W scribbled

Or these

Jonno

Take a picture with a phone on a selfie stick

Reply to
fred

In article , Chris Hogg writes

Ours are similar age but slightly more complicated. Stand on it to activate. Get off until it zeros Stand on it and weight is displayed Get off and display stays on for a few seconds then switches off.

Reply to
bert