Diffusion laws.

Hey, that's pretty amazing. From a mention of iced tea to the perils of islam in only about fours steps. Is this a record?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, in most cases G decreases. G is complex when you consider a pile of clothing as the fibre spacing will also come into the equation. The fibre spacing will also be influenced by the amount of water present. Diffusion coefficients are frequently measured experimentally and the results backed into the equation to enable forecasting of the out come of production processes. Semiconductor production for example where a degree temperate change can be critical.

Reply to
Capitol

I see that your education failed. Pity, it's a good university

Reply to
Capitol

It is also true that most compounds are more soluble in warm water than they are in cold so that helps with dissolution of water soluble grime.

The notable exceptions to the solubility rule are soda water, household Ammonia, Lithium Sulphate and Yttrium sulphate.

And it simplifies the plumbing by a factor of two. The hot feed is basically a waste of time given the small volumes of water used today.

Reply to
Martin Brown

But only if you accept that taste is on a par with religion.

Reply to
Fredxxx

If G is really a function of T, doesn't that change the diffusion law into the Diffusion Rule, where: D !~ T

where ~ is the closest symbol I have to proportional!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Wrong.

Well, it certainly shows up those who are not so bright who rubbish things they clearly don't understand!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Machines are cold fill only as it is cheaper to manufacture.

Reply to
Capitol

Oh dear, oh dear.

So, tell me why diffusion affects the wash in combination with whether the water comes in hot, or cold, and why.

Frankly people like you make we want to join the Labour party, destroy the country and let someone else have it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And offers no significant loss of performance over hot fill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But not usually because of diffusion but because the reactions are quicker. Diffusion tends to be reduced a lot because they move stuff about rather than rely on diffusion to do the job. Similar to a washing machine.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, the extra 50p it costs, makes them very much cheaper.

Reply to
dennis

Right. So you must mean to get away from nutcases? Like those in your favourite party?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given a cold fill machine will also have a heater, I doubt Capitol has thought much about it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope, because its pointless with the very low volumes of water that modern machines use. By the time its got the water it needs, the machine isn't even seeing hot water from the pipe.

Reply to
John Jackson

Thank you grandma, but we did that in O level in my day...

You appear to be barking up an irrelevant tree...

Firstly the "hotter = cleaner faster" assertion is not correct for a number of reasons. We can rehearse those again for you later if you wish.

Secondly, I am intrigued why you think a hot & cold fill machine would be "hotter" anyway. The wash temperature is controlled by a thermostat in the machine, and has little bearing on the temperature of the source water. If you elect to wash at 60 degrees, then that is the temperature the machine will run the wash at program at. The machine will fill from both supplies while monitoring the temperature. Once adequate water has been taken on, it will use its internal heater to achieve the final set point temperature.

A cold fill only machine will take on adequate water in the same way, and then bring it to wash temperature. It may take longer to reach wash temperature, but the final outcome is the same. (the longer duration will affect hot washes the most - this may actually improve wash results, although at the expense of duration)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not quite!

Reply to
Capitol

I can't believe the last comment, you'd never sit along side Dave Plowman!

Reply to
Capitol

I don't know of a UK washing machine since the 1960's which doesn't have a heater. Modern machines can have a smaller heater as the water level has been reduced and cold fill machines need a longer cycle time.

Reply to
Capitol

I calculated the dead leg water volume at 1.5 litres.

Reply to
Capitol