difference in temperature

Hi I have a digital thermometer that has a sensor on the end of a long wire, and can be switched to read the temperature of the sensor or the temperature unit. If I put the sensor up the loft what would be a resonable temperature difference between the room and the loft?

I.e I could use it to monitor the effectiveness of the insulation. At present there is a difference of 2 degree centigrade however there is no heating switched on at the moment. Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron

I don't think that temperature difference alone will tell you anything useful -- there are too many other variables in the equation. If you say what the insulation is, how thick, and the ceiling construction, there are various tables which will allow you to calculate the U value.

Infra-red thermometers (look like small radar speed guns) are better for searching for heat loss. You can check ceiling temperatures and check for cold spots, which are where you are losing heat (or from the outside of the heated area, check for warm spots). I did this on a bitterly cold day. Most of the ceiling was something like 22C (hotter than the average room temperature because heat rises and it's insulated), but the loft hatch was below 10C IIRC, as it had no insulation on the back of it. This isn't a practical proposition with temperature probes as they can't so easily measure things like wall and ceiling temperatures.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel